The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
5 members (Ponchogl, jmoore, arustycars639, Possum, DuckRancher), 108 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,108
Posts1,056,562
Members48,448
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Jun 2020
Posts: 197
C
1950 Chevy 3100 216 3 Speed.
1950 Chevy 3100 216 3 Speed.
C Offline
Joined: Jun 2020
Posts: 197
1950 Chevy 216 with stock intake and exhaust

Does anyone have a diagram as to how to set up the duel diaphragm fuel pump to work with the wipers?

I used I have it set up, went to electric, and now want to go back to original.


Darren
Current Project - 1950 3100 5 Window with a rebuilt 216 and 3 speed trans
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 1,904
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 1,904
Here's how I set up mine when I did that.
Attachments
Vac Fuel Pump Setup 700.jpg (14.97 KB, 173 downloads)


1948 3/4-Ton 5-Window Flatbed Chevrolet

34 Years. Now with a '61 261, 848 head, Rochester Monojet carb, SM420 4-speed, 4.10 rear, dual reservoir MC, Bendix up front, 235/85R16 tires, 12-volt w/alternator, electric wipers and a modern radio in the glove box.
Joined: Jun 2020
Posts: 197
C
1950 Chevy 3100 216 3 Speed.
1950 Chevy 3100 216 3 Speed.
C Offline
Joined: Jun 2020
Posts: 197
Would you care to share some pics of your setup?
I think that’s how I had it set up, I just remembered I had the vacuum lines following the fuel line so that in went around the front of the valve cover.
But that was 40+ years ago. The electric wipers got installed 15 years ago. Thanks if you have any pics to share.


Darren
Current Project - 1950 3100 5 Window with a rebuilt 216 and 3 speed trans
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,324
K
'Bolter
'Bolter
K Online: Content
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,324
Just curious what happened with the electric to want you to switch back


1954 Canadian GMC 9300
"The Journey"
Follow in the DITY
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,321
H
'Bolter
'Bolter
H Offline
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,321
Darren,
Maybe these will help you.
Harold
Attachments
Dual Action Fuel Pump Plumbing.docx (13.62 KB, 4 downloads)
SHA1: 204d16095511de3cb2b0886c0caa426c9fa6e302
Dual Action Fuel Pump Plumbing 2.jpg (102.86 KB, 148 downloads)
Fuel Pump Connections.jpg (54.61 KB, 150 downloads)


Harold
Is a restoration ever finished?
Joined: Mar 2014
Posts: 4,504
J
Moderator, Electrical Bay
Moderator, Electrical Bay
J Offline
Joined: Mar 2014
Posts: 4,504
Originally Posted by KEVINSKI
Just curious what happened with the electric to want you to switch back

I'm curious about that also. You knew I posted a bona fide operational wiper delay circuit a couple of years ago, yes?


~ Jon
1952 1/2 ton with 1959 235 | T5 with 3.07 rear end
Joined: Aug 2017
Posts: 671
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Aug 2017
Posts: 671
On mine the rear port connects to wiper hose. The front port connects to manifold. My AC dual pump looks a bit different that the above posted one.(ports). I put a brass elbow on the manifold.

On a side note under the dash I put a "Y" fitting where the wiper hose comes in.
I added a valve and it now runs my small original Trico fan.
Just turn the valve back and wipers work. I love the vacuum set up.
Todd
Attachments
20210521_093555.jpg (49.73 KB, 139 downloads)
20210521_094932.jpg (171.26 KB, 140 downloads)
20210521_101608.jpg (122.49 KB, 121 downloads)

Last edited by Shaffer's1950; 05/21/2021 5:16 PM.

1950 Chevy 3100
Joined: Jun 2020
Posts: 197
C
1950 Chevy 3100 216 3 Speed.
1950 Chevy 3100 216 3 Speed.
C Offline
Joined: Jun 2020
Posts: 197
Great answer. This is the same fuel pump I am running. I like the way you ran the rear port around the back of the fuel pump. Details count!


Darren
Current Project - 1950 3100 5 Window with a rebuilt 216 and 3 speed trans
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,835
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,835
I've always used the KISS principle. Run the engine- - - -use a gauge on the pump to see which port develops a vacuum. Connect that port to the wiper motor control. Connect the other port to the intake. Think up something else to worry about.
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Jun 2020
Posts: 197
C
1950 Chevy 3100 216 3 Speed.
1950 Chevy 3100 216 3 Speed.
C Offline
Joined: Jun 2020
Posts: 197
I removed the electric motor because I don’t like the look of the switch on the dash. Switched over to the electric wipers when my boys drove the truck in their high school years. But after I complete my restoration I don’t plan to drive in the rain. If I get caught in the rain the vacuum wipers will be enough. But more than anything it is about the esthetics.


Darren
Current Project - 1950 3100 5 Window with a rebuilt 216 and 3 speed trans
Joined: Jun 2020
Posts: 197
C
1950 Chevy 3100 216 3 Speed.
1950 Chevy 3100 216 3 Speed.
C Offline
Joined: Jun 2020
Posts: 197
See my reply to Kevin.


Darren
Current Project - 1950 3100 5 Window with a rebuilt 216 and 3 speed trans
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 2,832
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 2,832
I like my vacuum wipers which I guess are also electric because I power them with a Mercedes diesel electric vacuum pump mounted where the battery box was. The hose to the wiper motor is in the wire harness and no one notices. Instead of single speed, 2 speed, or 3speed wipers I can have from one cycle an hour to launch the wiper blade like a javelin fast. Pulling a loaded trailer uphill has zero affect on wiper function.


Evan

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0