The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (KEVINSKI, Gray_Ghost, Otto Skorzeny), 113 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,100
Posts1,056,513
Members48,448
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1412092 05/31/2021 4:30 AM
Joined: May 2021
Posts: 4
J
Moderated
Moderated
J Offline
Joined: May 2021
Posts: 4
Hello everyone! I’m new here. I have always wanted an old truck to play with and to remind me of my good old days as a kid driving grain in Colorado. My son gifted me with a ‘50 6400 flatbed( old grain truck with dump) I’ve got her running good. I need a radiator and tires. Radiator is on the way.

Curious about tires the old ones are bad. I assume the wheels are the Rh-5? Widow makers. Can they be used in Florida? Should I use them with tubes? Or find a replacement wheel. After reading the forum, I think they are budd wheels? I don’t know if they are stud piloted of hub piloted. Does Accuride make a replacement wheel that I can use. I have looked but since I am a “newbie” in the old truck world I don’t really know what to look for.

I’d appreciate any help I can get, please?

I am a building contractor. I plant to work this truck once in a while just to prove it can still be done! I can’t wait! It might be the coolest gift I’ve ever received!

Thanks for your help
Attachments
40CCDF33-6962-4D5E-A460-BE98E0ACA63E.jpeg (318.53 KB, 138 downloads)
305B2004-35D3-417C-9357-5487370CB0F6.jpeg (430.34 KB, 128 downloads)


Jay
She may be ugly! But she’s paid for!
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 6,100
3
3B Offline
'Bolter
'Bolter
3 Offline
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 6,100
Hy Jhbabb, welcome, nice truck you have there, your son must be pretty nice too to give you such a gift! Unfortunately I'm 90% sure at least your front wheel is an RH5 widowmaker, they are outlawed, no tire shop will work on them and they shouldn't they are extremely dangerous. There are limited replacements available, the most common would be tube type multi piece wheels. That type of wheel has had two different wheel center hole dimensions and I'm not sure when they changed to the larger size, so measure your wheels center hole and your axle hub to make sure of the dimension. Tubeless wheels became the factory standard in 1956, unfortunately a lot of truck buyers didn't trust these new fangled "tubeless" tires and they paid extra to get multi piece wheels and tube type tires, so those tubeless wheels are very rare and expensive if you do find some. Your wheels are hub pilot Kelsey wheels. There are some modern tubeless wheels with the bolt pattern, ten holes on a 7 1/4" bolt circle, unfortunately they are only 19.5" wheels not the 22.5" that the factory put on the trucks, most of us consider the 19.5" wheels to look too small on the trucks. There is a Tech Tip on wheels here and you should read it to become acquainted with the subject of wheels and tires, good luck with your search.

Joined: Feb 2016
Posts: 148
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Feb 2016
Posts: 148


-David

1953 2-Ton GMC

I'm a machinist... because engineers need heroes too.
Joined: May 2021
Posts: 4
J
Moderated
Moderated
J Offline
Joined: May 2021
Posts: 4
Thank you guys. This gives me a starting place very much appreciated.


Jay
She may be ugly! But she’s paid for!

Moderated by  69Cuda, Super55 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0