The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (Jon G, Guitplayer, Wally / Montana), 123 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,109
Posts1,056,269
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#140976 12/17/2004 12:25 AM
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 332
G
Big Bolt Shop Curmudgeon
Big Bolt Shop Curmudgeon
G Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 332
Ok, time to celebrate!

Put a new battery in the old truck, and dang! if he doesn't start right up.

I had been fightin' with him for a couple of weeks, now. Sometimes, just didn't want to start in the respectable manner I expect.

You may recall that Mando and I did the "tune up" thing back in August and that made all the difference.

Then, just after Thanksgiving, soon as some colder weather (understand, we don't really have COLD weather here in Central Texas) set in, the old truck just started giving trouble bein' cranked up. Never failed to start, just a little slow on the git-go. Until this week.

Makes me mad at myself, 'cause I knew it was gonna happen. I'm less mad than I could be, though, bein' as he sat right there in the driveway, turned over a few times when I mashed the starter, then just decided that was enough, it ain't gonna happen.

The trouble with the '46's and their friends is that ya gotta take out the floor pan to replace the battery. Maybe that's why I put off doin' the job.

Yesterday was too dern cold to tackle a job like pulling the floor pan (or much else) in the driveway, but today--not a bad day for fiddlin' with an old stovebolt.

So, this afternoon, I went after 'Ol Blue with a vengeance. Success was met with success as I removed screws from the pan, pulled the whole shebang out of the way, disconnected the negative braided strand from the post, pulled off the positive cable from the stud on top of the starter, replaced all the necessary stuff, and smiled at the possibility of having a truck that would, once again, crank up on command.

I finished the last swallow of coffee (now cold), lit a smoke and climbed in behind the wheel. Lets see, been settin' a couple of days, so I tromped down on the footfeed a couple times and mashed the starter to give him a chance to demonstrate the fruits of my good work before replacing the pan.

I was rewarded by the notorious sound of a 216 coming to life.

Yes, there are a few things I like more than my ton and a half Chevy, but I can count every one on a few fingers. As I have been known to say, "....cowboy, it don't get no better!"


Drivin' down a 2 lane country road in a stovebolt.....cowboy, it don't get no better than this!

1946 1-1/2 ton Chevy
"Ol Blue", or "THE BIG 'UN"
Joined: Aug 2002
Posts: 221
J
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
J Offline
Joined: Aug 2002
Posts: 221
Hey Glenn!

Since I have the same kind of truck I could follow exactly what you were doing! It's good the old guy starts well again. Have you got some really good cables on that battery? I was having trouble with mine not wanting to spin the starter fast enough.
I got some welding cable and made two 30inch cables up. I attached the ground to the starter mount bolt and the positive to the connection on the starter. Boy, does she spin over now!! 6volts likes that heavy duty cable!

Seasons Best George

Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 1,745
T
Member
Member
T Offline
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 1,745
Gee, for a second I thought I was watching one of those MIller High Life commercials.
"There, just a little golden liquid to add to the patina of life"
grin


54 3100 with 235
62 flatbed dump C60 with 261
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,438
Extreme Gabster
Extreme Gabster
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,438
I was having trouble keeping my '53 yard dog running so today I rewired the ignition. It had a jumper wire with a big clip at the starter and an alligator clip at the ballast resistor. Then a wire wrapped around the other end of the resistor running to a toggle switch on the dash with a couple of twisted splices in between. From the toggle switch there were a couple more twisted splices before getting to the coil. There was a squeeze terminal at the coil but the nut wasn't tight on it.
Now I have solid wires with terminals on all ends. Mucho bettero.


"It's just a phase. He'll grow out of it." Mama, 1964

1956 Chevy 1/2-ton 3100
1953 Chevy 6100 "The Yard dog"
1954 GMC Suburban Now with a new proud owner.
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 332
G
Big Bolt Shop Curmudgeon
Big Bolt Shop Curmudgeon
G Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 332
Jarge, I agree. The positive cable from the battery to the stud on top of the starter should be the heaviest wire possible, and as short as possible to limit the amount of resistance in the wiring.

I ALWAYS replace the cables when I change the battery. Just like the little battery in a smoke detector.

Can you imagine my mood if I ever went to all that effort and chose not to replace the cables? I just double-dog guarantee you that within a week I would have to go through the whole mess again and replace the cables anyway.


Drivin' down a 2 lane country road in a stovebolt.....cowboy, it don't get no better than this!

1946 1-1/2 ton Chevy
"Ol Blue", or "THE BIG 'UN"
Joined: Sep 2004
Posts: 235
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Sep 2004
Posts: 235
How cold is is cold down there? The past few mornings it's been only ten degrees up here in New England

Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,438
Extreme Gabster
Extreme Gabster
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,438
It's been in the mid to high twentys here in Parker County. Expecting teens Sunday night. This crap is not normal for December here.


"It's just a phase. He'll grow out of it." Mama, 1964

1956 Chevy 1/2-ton 3100
1953 Chevy 6100 "The Yard dog"
1954 GMC Suburban Now with a new proud owner.
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 332
G
Big Bolt Shop Curmudgeon
Big Bolt Shop Curmudgeon
G Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 332
Supposed to be nice today and tomorrow, but it is fixin' to turn winter, and just in time for Christmas.

Weatherman says there isn't enough moisture in the air to do anything magical, but later in the week expected highs are gonna be in the 40's and lows a few nights in the teens.

Maybe kill all the bugs.


Drivin' down a 2 lane country road in a stovebolt.....cowboy, it don't get no better than this!

1946 1-1/2 ton Chevy
"Ol Blue", or "THE BIG 'UN"

Moderated by  69Cuda, Super55 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0