Hey all, finally got my truck out of storage and had some questions before i start teardown.
First off I wasn't sure if its full air or air over hydraulic, attached pics for reference.
Next is there any place I can get the compressor rebuilt or even a rebuild kit out there.
Last is I think my biggest issue, I don't have the title got lost in multiple moves, is there a way to get a title. It was never titled in my state which is Massachusetts
For the title was it by chance at least in your name? If it was then a simple call to the DMV might be able to take care of it and get you a duplicate.
You have Air Over Hydraulic Brakes that were added (not factory). The factory AOHB system maintained the brake pedal pushing the MC, so even if you lost air you still had brakes. Your system will have an air treadle pedal and no mechanical connection to the MC.
Full Air Brakes didn't come out of the factory until 1957.
Any modern air brake compressor can be made to fit. Since it's not factory you'll need to provide pictures and data tag info so the experts here can help you.
Was the truck EVER titled in your name, even in a different State? If it was you need to contact that State DMV and ask for a duplicate title. If it's not that easy, you'll need to contact your home State DMV for instructions on how to get a new title...every State has a process and they are all different.
Mike B
Mike Boteler
1956 Chevy 3100 Resto Rod 1952 Willys M38 Army Jeep 1983 Jeep CJ7 Laredo 1984 Jeep CJ7 +++++ Silver Spring, MD
If the PO is still alive you could ask them to request a duplicate title and go from there, Otherwise you need to contact your DMV for instructions on obtaining a title...I assume you got a "Bill of Sale".
Let us know how it works out.
Mike B
Mike Boteler
1956 Chevy 3100 Resto Rod 1952 Willys M38 Army Jeep 1983 Jeep CJ7 Laredo 1984 Jeep CJ7 +++++ Silver Spring, MD
Most states require you to make a good faith effort to contact the previous owner, DMV can provide you with last know address. If you're unable to locate previous owner you can be issued a ghost tittle but if previous owner comes forward title will revert back to them. Idaho requires a judge to sign off on on the ghost title so you have to file a motion to get it in front of a judge. It's pretty simple paperwork, your county courthouse should have a public assistance office that will help you fill out the paperwork. Usually a small fee involved. Or you can get a lawyer to do it. If you find the previous owner DMV will provide you with a power of attorney form that old owner can simply sign and return to you. I went through all this on a 72 nova that was given to me without the title but with a bill of sale from old owner. Bill of sale was worthless as far as getting a title.
Last edited by Chevy's till I d; 05/05/20213:39 PM.
Bill of sale was worthless as far as getting a title.
That sucks. Bought my truck off of Ebay, site unseen. No title, but got an un-notorized Bill of Sale. The truck came with a 1974 ND plate. Looks like I gotta research Illinois requirements. Don't need a truck for a lawn ornament.
54 Chevy 3100 Deluxe 3 speed on column. Keeping original as possible but changed to 12 volt system. JB Weld..."I put that stuff on everything"
Here in Michigan I had to first get a written appraisal from a licensed dealer, that along with the hand written bill of sale was enough to get the state to do a search on the VIN. It came back clean so they authorized a new title in my name. From there during the first couple of months of COVID I could not get an appointment to register it, I have it insured with Haggerty and now fully registered, plated, road legal.
1957 Chevrolet 5700 LCF 283 SM420 2 speed rear, 1955 IH 300U T/A, 1978 Corvette 350 auto, 1978 Yamaha DT175, 1999 Harley Davidson Softail Fat Boy
Much easier than Idaho. Great example of every state is different. Contact your local DMV on how to proceed. Back in the day in Idaho all you had to do was run an ad in the business announcements in the local newspaper for three weeks, if no one came forward you got a title. I miss the old days, things were much simpler
If you contact the DMV, go to the central folks and not the local ones. Our local DMV people here in NC are contract workers, who when faced with anything out of the ordinary just say "No." My Bill of Sale only 1935 1.5 ton came from Oregon, and as an ex military truck had no VIN. I had to post a bond (and receive a visit from a Sheriff's Deputy), in order to get a new VIN and title. That is, after i went to the REAL DMV folks, and not the locals... Be persistent!
Thanks unfortunately Bill of sale was with title. I was thinking of I still truck with Bill of sale to friend then I could get a bonded title here in mass and then have them sell it back to me. Mass wants bill of sale to get new title not sure if my idea would work.