The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (TUTS 59, JW51, Jon G), 114 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,095
Posts1,056,480
Members48,444
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1408047 04/30/2021 2:44 PM
Joined: Dec 2020
Posts: 26
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Dec 2020
Posts: 26
I would like to lower the rear of my 1950 GMC 3100 1/2 ton pickup. Has anyone done this ( by removing spring leafs) and if so which leafs can be removed to successfully lower the truck . I have removed the smaller leaf which only lowered the truck a 1/2 inch. I would like the truck another 1” lower.
Thanks

Joined: May 2016
Posts: 268
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: May 2016
Posts: 268
That would probably depend on how many leaves are in the spring pack to start with. I removed leaves from my 1 ton when I got it but it started out with 16 leaves including the helpers. I ended up removing 8 leaves as I have no intention of hauling loads. You probably can remove every other leave but your not going to lower a whole bunch. John


1949 gmc 1-ton
Joined: Mar 2014
Posts: 4,504
J
Moderator, Electrical Bay
Moderator, Electrical Bay
J Online: Content
Joined: Mar 2014
Posts: 4,504
I'd just add one comment...it is important for your front and rear axles to be in the same orientation as they were originally designed to be so the caster angle of your front end remains correct. You can, of course adjust this angle later, but I've had many friends who've altered the rear end only to learn it either made their steering unstable and prone to wander or more stable but much harder to steer. That caster angle ought to be somewhere between 2 and 3 degrees positive unless you have added power steering.


~ Jon
1952 1/2 ton with 1959 235 | T5 with 3.07 rear end
Joined: Mar 2019
Posts: 119
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: Mar 2019
Posts: 119
Removing leaves does not have near the effect on unloaded ride height that you might think. That does not do much to change the static load capacity of the spring. It does lower by about the thickness of the leaf plus maybe a little more. The difference is much more noticeable when you do add a load because the spring stiffness or rate is altered by removing leaves.

Great point about keeping a eye on the caster angle.


Rusty
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,286
5
Renaissance Man
Renaissance Man
5 Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,286
In 1953, a 1/2 ton truck which came with a side mount spare tire came with a lowering block on the passenger side between the spring stack and the axle. This lowers the truck on the passenger side to match the sag on the driver side due to the weight of the spare tire.
You can lower your truck in the same manner by fabricating and installing simple blocks between the springs and the axle on both sides.

Last edited by 52Carl; 05/01/2021 1:47 AM.

1952 5-window - return to "as built" condition | 1950 3100 with a 235 and a T-5 transmission
Joined: Sep 2019
Posts: 223
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Sep 2019
Posts: 223
Rmcea...I had custom 3" lowering blocks made for my '50 3100 Chevy. I decided not to use them instead I installed Posies 3" drop leaf springs. If you are interested in how the blocks were made send me a pm.


Moderated by  Dusty53, SWEET 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0