| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,095 Posts1,056,468 Members48,444 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Dec 2020 Posts: 26 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Dec 2020 Posts: 26 | I would like to lower the rear of my 1950 GMC 3100 1/2 ton pickup. Has anyone done this ( by removing spring leafs) and if so which leafs can be removed to successfully lower the truck . I have removed the smaller leaf which only lowered the truck a 1/2 inch. I would like the truck another 1” lower. Thanks | | | | | Joined: May 2016 Posts: 268 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: May 2016 Posts: 268 | That would probably depend on how many leaves are in the spring pack to start with. I removed leaves from my 1 ton when I got it but it started out with 16 leaves including the helpers. I ended up removing 8 leaves as I have no intention of hauling loads. You probably can remove every other leave but your not going to lower a whole bunch. John 1949 gmc 1-ton | | | | | Joined: Mar 2014 Posts: 4,504 Moderator, Electrical Bay | | Moderator, Electrical Bay Joined: Mar 2014 Posts: 4,504 | I'd just add one comment...it is important for your front and rear axles to be in the same orientation as they were originally designed to be so the caster angle of your front end remains correct. You can, of course adjust this angle later, but I've had many friends who've altered the rear end only to learn it either made their steering unstable and prone to wander or more stable but much harder to steer. That caster angle ought to be somewhere between 2 and 3 degrees positive unless you have added power steering.
~ Jon 1952 1/2 ton with 1959 235 | T5 with 3.07 rear end
| | | | | Joined: Mar 2019 Posts: 119 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2019 Posts: 119 | Removing leaves does not have near the effect on unloaded ride height that you might think. That does not do much to change the static load capacity of the spring. It does lower by about the thickness of the leaf plus maybe a little more. The difference is much more noticeable when you do add a load because the spring stiffness or rate is altered by removing leaves.
Great point about keeping a eye on the caster angle.
Rusty
| | | | | Joined: Mar 2010 Posts: 10,286 Renaissance Man | | Renaissance Man Joined: Mar 2010 Posts: 10,286 | In 1953, a 1/2 ton truck which came with a side mount spare tire came with a lowering block on the passenger side between the spring stack and the axle. This lowers the truck on the passenger side to match the sag on the driver side due to the weight of the spare tire. You can lower your truck in the same manner by fabricating and installing simple blocks between the springs and the axle on both sides.
Last edited by 52Carl; 05/01/2021 1:47 AM.
1952 5-window - return to "as built" condition | 1950 3100 with a 235 and a T-5 transmission
| | | | | Joined: Sep 2019 Posts: 223 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Sep 2019 Posts: 223 | Rmcea...I had custom 3" lowering blocks made for my '50 3100 Chevy. I decided not to use them instead I installed Posies 3" drop leaf springs. If you are interested in how the blocks were made send me a pm. | | |
| |
| |