Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,109 Posts1,056,269 Members48,439 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Jul 2000 Posts: 623 "MONGO" | | "MONGO" Joined: Jul 2000 Posts: 623 | Been looking for a Big Bolt for some time, and all of them so far have been too far for me to consider getting them. So I was excited to find this one about a mile from our farm. The owner says it runs and drives but the brakes are soft. It's a 1953 6400 with a 4 speed tranny, 2 speed rear, Steel flatbed that dumps. Just what I was looking for. Only bummer is it'll be about 2 weeks before I get back up there to check it out in person (2 hours away) so I hope it doesn't sell before then. (And I'm not telling you guys where it is!) Looking for a checklist of stuff to check out on it, specifically stuff that's different on the big bolts. Also if I do get the chance to test drive it and maybe drive it down the back gravel roads to our place if I get it, can you guys give me a crash course on the 4 Speed 2 Speed rear setup? What will it likely have a 235 or a 261? I have no short term goals for the truck; if it runs well and drives it might get some minor work around the farm (after I go through the brakes). I'd like to go through it enough to use it to haul rock from the old quarry that's on the farm to the location where we want to build our house someday and the thought of turning it into a ramp style car hauler has crossed my mind too (Just cause I always seem to be moving stuff around). Thanks in advance O' wrenchers of the big bolts. MONGO | | | | | Joined: Jul 2000 Posts: 623 "MONGO" | | "MONGO" Joined: Jul 2000 Posts: 623 | Forgot.. Here's a picture let me know what you guys think. Future MONGO Hauler??? MONGO | | | | | Joined: Jan 2003 Posts: 687 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jan 2003 Posts: 687 | KC: Good looking truck!! Kinda what I'm looking for in a paint truck. I'll bet that bed is newer than the cab. 2 speeds are easy, just drive them like a stick, The old Int. I use to drive on the farm you would start in low range then blip the clutch and pull the botton it would go into high.
Around the farm low range will be all you need especially hauling a load of stone. Oh if its a 2 lever floor shift just shift from low to high with clutch also. Raise the bed and see if its raising smooth (not jerky). Raise the bed all the way then get out and check cylinder. If start to lower by itself could be bad seals, check hydraulic hoses for leaks, cracks, fittings. Just becareful the bed doesn't come down on your head.
Got any good "old" farm buddies take them with you. But, as good as that truck looks in the picture somebody has taken care of it. Wish I was there I can point and show you better than I can explain on this computer. Ben
popcorn The Truth is Out There (Nice find) | | | | | Joined: Jan 2005 Posts: 23 Junior Member | | Junior Member Joined: Jan 2005 Posts: 23 | groovey truck. if you go lookin around at the cyclinder, frame, rear end with that box raised make sure and through a wood post or something else in the v made by the box and the frame at the rear pivot point and let the box down on it so you don't get a big crushing suprise if the hydraulics let go. here is a picture (i hope) of a post in my dump truck holding the box. the post is behind the railroad tie that is stuck in for good measure. [img] http://community.webshots.com/photo/265109366/265118965qhlRsq[/img] | | | | | Joined: Jan 2005 Posts: 23 Junior Member | | Junior Member Joined: Jan 2005 Posts: 23 | | | | | | Joined: Jun 2004 Posts: 8,597 Riding in the Passing Lane | | Riding in the Passing Lane Joined: Jun 2004 Posts: 8,597 | Looks like a good solid truck KC. I,ll go look at it with you. I grew up working on the larger trucks. I can show you how to work the 2 speed easier than trying to explain it. I,m retired so I have a little extra time.  They say money can't buy happiness. It can buy old Chevy trucks though. Same thing. 1972 Chevy c10 Cheyenne SuperIn the Gallery Forum | | | | | Joined: Oct 2003 Posts: 5,152 Cruising in the Passing Lane | | Cruising in the Passing Lane Joined: Oct 2003 Posts: 5,152 | Looks great!
My '52 6400 is a 235. If its empty you'll not need the low gear in the rear. If the 2-speed is a red knob on the shifter its easy to shift. Get the truck in motion, pull the knob up, and then put the clutch in and out. You'll be in high.
If you're thinking you're driving it home, plan on more than 2 hours... And get comfortable with reaching for the brake lever! Soft brakes might suddenly mean no brakes.
1955 1st GMC Suburban | 1954 GMC 250 trailer puller project | 1954 GMC 250 Hydra-Matic | 1954 Chevy 3100 . 1947 Chevy COE | and more... It's true. I really don't do anything but browse the Internet looking for trouble... | | | | | Joined: Apr 2004 Posts: 543 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Apr 2004 Posts: 543 | Dang, that's exactly what I've been looking for! If it doesn't pan out, keep me in mind! 
Pessimist - Sees glass as half-empty. Optimist - Sees glass as half-full. Gov't- Sees glass and takes it from you because you have a glass. Political Correctness: A philosophical belief system bereft of common sense and logic, that supports and rewards ignorance and stupidity.
| | | | | Joined: May 2001 Posts: 477 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: May 2001 Posts: 477 | looks like an easy restore. if the engine is any good at all ya got a workhorse that ought to be around for years to come. | | | | | Joined: Dec 2004 Posts: 60 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Dec 2004 Posts: 60 | Hey, I know where that truck is, For sale eh?! Naw, just kidding. Very nice ride, you will be very happy. Welcome to the Big Bolts!
Aloha,
Keoni | | | | | Joined: Jul 2000 Posts: 623 "MONGO" | | "MONGO" Joined: Jul 2000 Posts: 623 | Thanks for the tips guys the truck is about a mile from our farm which is 2 hours from KC where I live so I'm trying to arrange things so I can make a run up there this weekend. I should be able to get it to the farm on just gravel roads at low speeds. Wrenchbender: Would love for you to go but it's quite a trip and I might spend the weekend driving it around the fields at the farm.. My father in law went by sunday afternoon and looked it over for me guess the seller didn't have time to try to sell it to him, so he looked at it on his own. He says it's got all the normal AD rust but looks solid over all. I can't wait to go see it. Mongo | | | | | Joined: Jun 2004 Posts: 8,597 Riding in the Passing Lane | | Riding in the Passing Lane Joined: Jun 2004 Posts: 8,597 | I see. I thought it was in the Indep. area. I do want to get with you in better weather & take some photos of my 70 stepside.  They say money can't buy happiness. It can buy old Chevy trucks though. Same thing. 1972 Chevy c10 Cheyenne SuperIn the Gallery Forum | | |
| |