Got cabin fever bad so going to drag up an AD frame and cab to see what it takes to mount the Atlas and have clearance all around. I know the Atlas is longer but we have in the shop a 1950 with the original bolt together core support instead of the later one piece design. Moving radiator should not be difficult. I'm going to cut the cab so just the fire wall, cowl, and floor remain for easy access. I'm weak, blind, and very slow so won't be necessary to have a bucket of water to cool down tools but it any interest I'll keep the camera handy. If not I'll do it anyway. The 4200 Atlas is from a Trailblazer and has a 12 port cross flow head, seven main bearings, and dual overhead cams. 256hp from factory. Has been done by others but haven't found a step by step pictorial. When this *%&# snow melts it may take weeks to get in my storage yard but it's inked in on the calendar now.
Martin '62 Chevy C-10 Stepside Shortbed (Restomod in progress) '47 Chevy 3100 5 Window (long term project) ‘65 Chevy Biscayne (Emily) ‘39 Dodge Business Coupe (Clarence) “I fought the law and the law won" now I are a retired one! Support those brave men/women who stand the "Thin Blue Line"! Hug a cop! USAF 1965-1969 Weather Observation Tech (I got paid to look at the clouds)
Have you considered modifying that big boxy oil pan with the hole through it for a front drive axle for better clearance for a stovebolt front axle? I've been thinking about fabricating a closer-fitting section up front by cutting off the front of the pan and replacing it with MIG welded aluminum sheet metal. Jerry
"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt! There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Also interested to see that documented. But what is an Atlas engine? A little description of that might help us all get on the same page here
~ John
A kid raised on Hotwheels, Matchbox and Tonka cannot be reasonably expected to own only one vehicle as an adult.
1949 Chevrolet 3804 In the Legacy Gallery | In the Gallery Forum 1973 IH 1310 Dump 1963 Kaiser M38A1 2001 International/AmTran RE3000 "Skoolie" 2014 Ford E-350 4x4 (Quigley)
There is a guy on Instagram that is in the process of putting one in a chevy LUV pickup. Its on a full custom built chassis but its a pretty slick setup. Ive seen a few people use them and they seem to react pretty well. Looks like a easy swap for our trucks. No steering box issues or manifold problems at least.
It's a 4.2 Liter dual overhead cam inline six that GM used in several car lines such as Chevy Trail Blazers, and similar Buicks, etc. I think Isuzu also ran the same engine in a few of their vehicles. 250+ HP, 12 port cylinder head, fuel injected, computer controlled variable cam timing, etc.
Pretty impressive! Jerry
"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt! There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Development on applications for this engine has been going on for a while now...It's been 11 years since I machined the first prototype rear sump pan for Emtec.
I don't fancy myself as an expert on the subject, especially since I've had my truck in the Project Purgatory wing of my shed for way too long. Anyhow, here's some photo's I shot before I pulled the 4200 out to do an IFS crossmember install on the 54. I would have more, but some photo hosting sight has taken my pictures prisoner.
Anyhow, the 4200 is slightly longer than a 216 or 235, with that being said, from the bellhousing to the Dampener, It's actually about 1/2" shorter than the 235 is from the bellhousing to the radiator fan. The engine is an 08/09 model with an AR5 manual transmission bolted to it. Earlier models actually have the exhaust manifold tucked in a little closer to the block, so no real clearance issues there. I've since decided not to go with the AR5 and in fact, I picked up a 2wd 4L60E this past Saturday. Size wise, the 4L60E is actually slightly smaller than the AR5. The motor mounts I'm using are a combination of 3/8 and 1/4 plate that I made on the engine side and Competition engineering mounts with Ford Taurus solid rubber isolators. I trimmed the engine mount portion off of the lower radiator support for a little extra clearance. It probably wasn't necessary, but it helped when I wedged it it there. since I don't have the engine/trans. crossmember removed off of the 54.
With all that said... The 4200 fits quite well. Ideally, I would like to slide the engine back slightly further. That would require some sheet metal clearance for the Intake manifold and that's about it. The bellhousing is actually smaller than what the V8 trucks have, so there may need to be some trimming for it, but I doubt it. I'm actually still thinking about leaving the factory 54 engine crossmember in.