| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,106 Posts1,056,213 Members48,436 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Aug 2007 Posts: 121 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Aug 2007 Posts: 121 | i have been told there is a GM car or pickup. that the wheel bearings and rotors will bolt directly onto the AD straight axle and all the has to be built is caliper brakets.has anyone heard of this and if so what car or pickup is used?
gotta love old trucks
| | | | | Joined: Oct 2003 Posts: 5,152 Cruising in the Passing Lane | | Cruising in the Passing Lane Joined: Oct 2003 Posts: 5,152 | I don't think so.
The hubs and drums from an early 50's Chevy car can be adapted by using car bearing on the outer end and truck bearings on the inner, or something similar to that. I don't recall the exact details any more. Its been more than 30 years since I did it on a '41 pickup and the AD trucks are slightly different.
The disk brake kits readily available use a similar approach. The outer bearing on the kit I bought is the car outer bearing, and actually came with the new rotors I bought.
The inner bearing came with the kit, as did a sleave that adapted the bearing to the spindle. I'd be surprised if there were a disk that would work without that sleave.
1955 1st GMC Suburban | 1954 GMC 250 trailer puller project | 1954 GMC 250 Hydra-Matic | 1954 Chevy 3100 . 1947 Chevy COE | and more... It's true. I really don't do anything but browse the Internet looking for trouble... | | | | | Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 2,098 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 2,098 | As Steve mentioned, the brake kits use standard car or truck rotors & calipers but the problem is determining which one to use. I used the complete rotors/calipers/hoses from a 74 Malibu on my 56. I purchased a bracket kit from one of the aftermarket suppliers which included the bearings, spacer sleeves, bolts, brackets, etc. This of course makes it a 5 lug car bolt pattern. The six lug conversion is another whole issue. Some of the kits use your existing hub and a rotor from something like a 73 up 4x4. Most of the aftermarket guys won't share the info about what parts they use as they like to sell kits. There is a lot written on this subject in these forums. Fred
1956 3100 Pickup/Red/350/3sp OD/PS/Disc Brakes 1957 Bel Air Sport Coupe/Red/355/TH350/PS/Disc Brakes 2017 Silverado LT Single Cab SB/Black/5.3/6 Speed Trans 1947 Willys CJ2A w/F-Head engine
| | | | | Joined: Jul 2005 Posts: 2,031 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jul 2005 Posts: 2,031 | my brake set up on my 1951 delux 5 window chevrolet pick up is equiped w/ : front equipment:  1971 ~ 86 chevrolet k – 5 / 10 blazer 4 wd rotors.  1971 ~ 87 chevrolet c – 10 truck 2 wd (heavy) calipers.
Jim & Caroline The highway is for gamblers, better use your good sense." Gooday-that's my 1¢ answer due to the lousy economy ~ cause I ain't got - no . mo . doe Every Shaver | Now Can Snore | Six More Minutes | Than Before ... | Half A Pound for Half a Dollar | Spread On Thin | Above the Collar || BURMA-SHAVE
| | | | | Joined: Aug 2004 Posts: 54 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Aug 2004 Posts: 54 | I purchased a bolt on bracket from Master brake in Mooresville NC. Then I went to the local Autozune and bought calipers, rotors an brake shoes for a 77 Monte Carlo. The bearings came with the bracket kit. It took 2 evenings to install Approx. 2-3 hours total. Everything worked great. Let me know if you are not planning to swap you master cyclinder. [email protected] | | |
| |
| |