The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
5 members (klhansen, Otto Skorzeny, TUTS 59, dt235sd, 1 invisible), 146 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,095
Posts1,056,480
Members48,444
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#139199 09/02/2007 10:10 PM
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 275
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 275
I am about ready to start putting the bed of a 46 1/2 ton bed on a 87 S-10 frame. After I have it sitting pretty, I will start installing the 46 cab.

I need information from anybody that has done this modification. How did the bed line up with the frame? What modifications are going to be needed to mount the bed to the S-10 frame?

How much space is going to be needed under the cab to make it level with the bed?

What about a cross member for the radiator support? How much of the front of the frame had to be cut off?

Frank cool


No better smell than that of fresh paint. I've been building and painting cars/trucks for 47 years. Not gonna stop now.
http://www.coxcustomcars.com/



#139200 09/04/2007 3:00 PM
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,152
O
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
O Offline
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,152
Frank I'd mount the cab first. The postioning of the cab is much more critical than the bed, and changing things on the rear half of the frame is much simpler.


1955 1st GMC Suburban | 1954 GMC 250 trailer puller project | 1954 GMC 250 Hydra-Matic | 1954 Chevy 3100 . 1947 Chevy COE | and more...
It's true. I really don't do anything but browse the Internet looking for trouble...
#139201 09/04/2007 9:06 PM
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 275
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 275
Yeah it sort of a catch-22. I have to make sure th at the wheels center in both the front and rear. So it going to be juggling everything around to get everything to match up. But the bed is going to be sitting the highest, so I have to mount the cab on blocks and changing the height of the cab until I get it proportionate to the bed.
My two major fabrication projects are going to be the steering gear and radiator support mount.


No better smell than that of fresh paint. I've been building and painting cars/trucks for 47 years. Not gonna stop now.
http://www.coxcustomcars.com/



#139202 09/04/2007 10:02 PM
Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 438
4
'Bolter
'Bolter
4 Offline
Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 438
Countilaw There are several discussions on this on this site for frame swaps. I also just read a good how to article on thejalopyjournal website. it is under the HAMB technical section. do a s10swap or so what truck search. Good luck


Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison
Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle."-Abraham Lincoln

#139204 09/05/2007 6:59 AM
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 275
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 275
I got the frame back from the sand blaster today. Tomorrow, I start with sectioning it. A little off the front, a little off the rear and one foot out of the middle. I know the one foot will have to come out. After I get the body on, I will know how much to take off the front and rear.
Frank


No better smell than that of fresh paint. I've been building and painting cars/trucks for 47 years. Not gonna stop now.
http://www.coxcustomcars.com/



#139205 09/08/2007 2:17 AM
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 145
M
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
M Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 145
I have a long WB 46 panel, and had to add over a foot. The S10 frame is a great versitile piece.
MV


46 Chev One Ton Panel - S10 Frame Project

"What if the Hokey-Pokey is REALLY what it's all about?" - J. Buffet
#139206 09/08/2007 6:40 AM
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 275
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 275
I've read your posts and looked at your gallery many times. I've picked up some very good ideas from your work. I really appreciate your experience.
Here is where I am today:
The Frame Work

I am using the 5" C stock inside the frame rails, and bolting them in place until I get the wheels centered in the wheel openings. That was an excellent idea of yours. wink


No better smell than that of fresh paint. I've been building and painting cars/trucks for 47 years. Not gonna stop now.
http://www.coxcustomcars.com/



#139207 09/09/2007 4:30 AM
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 145
M
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
M Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 145
Thanks, that's good to know. You gave me great satisfaction in passing along the spirit. TooMany2Count provided the pics and progress reports that gave me the guts to try mine!


46 Chev One Ton Panel - S10 Frame Project

"What if the Hokey-Pokey is REALLY what it's all about?" - J. Buffet
#139209 09/10/2007 11:55 PM
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 2
C
Junior Member
Junior Member
C Offline
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 2
Hey, another place I can contribute on my first day...

I am starting on my next project, a '34 chevy 1-1/2 ton panel. I will be putting it on an S-10 frame. I have some experience with this type of conversion. I am putting the finishing touches on my '41 Dodge Panel that I slid an S-10 under.

I did document the project here:
http://www.shadow-spawn.com/Teufert/Charlie/Projects.html

If I can be of any help...

Charlie in NJ

#139210 09/12/2007 3:47 AM
Joined: Sep 2005
Posts: 99
C
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
C Offline
Joined: Sep 2005
Posts: 99
hey Charlie. It looks great. I'm looking forward to your '34 because I want to do something similar to my '36.


Moderated by  Fibonachu, KCMongo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0