The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
2 members (TrknGMC, FAST55), 94 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,115
Posts1,056,632
Members48,450
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1391378 01/05/2021 1:20 PM
Joined: May 2010
Posts: 43
W
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
W Offline
Joined: May 2010
Posts: 43
I figure I already know the answer to this but does anyone know of a supplier for new brake shoes? I am going through the brakes on my truck and would like to replace the brake shoes. One side is wore out on the front and one side on the back. Figure better do all corners while I’m at it. I searched NAPA and they actually had the front shoes come up on their website(not sure if they are correct). Nothing on the back.
If they have to be relined, has anyone tried this themselves? If I have to send them off(called around yesterday, no one local to Charleston WV does it) for relining, anyone have a ball park for cost?
Thanks for the help fellas!
Aaron

Last edited by Wvgearhead; 01/05/2021 1:20 PM.
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,270
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,270
What is the size of the brake shoes?
14" x 2.5" ?

Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 123
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 123
On my Chevrolet 56 6100 I sent all my shoes (including the parking brake shoes) to Brake Materials and Parts in Fort Wayne IN. Paid about $400 for all 10 shoes, including shipping both ways. They did a great job, came back repainted and relined, they look brand new.
Attachments
rear.jpg (211.91 KB, 105 downloads)
front.jpg (208.94 KB, 103 downloads)

Last edited by DougH6100; 01/05/2021 1:45 PM.
Joined: Jul 2020
Posts: 112
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Jul 2020
Posts: 112
Wv, i had all my shoes relined on my 58, 6400 (viking 60 series)
There was a shop fairly local to me here in MA, generally any big truck brake shop does it. they did a fantastic job came back cleaned up and painted. Like new. As far as i knew when doing the brakes, you couldnt get new shoes or drums.


THE BLACK VIKING
1958 Viking 60 ~ my new toy hauler
My Current fleet: 1954 chevy 3800, 1953/4 gmc 450 coleman 4x4, 1956 chevy pickup, 1958 Viking 60
Keep 'em rollin fellas!
Joined: May 2010
Posts: 43
W
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
W Offline
Joined: May 2010
Posts: 43
Originally Posted by tclederman
What is the size of the brake shoes?
14" x 2.5" ?
I am not sure, I would have to run over and measure them.

Joined: May 2010
Posts: 43
W
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
W Offline
Joined: May 2010
Posts: 43
Doug, that looks great! I need to call around and get some pricing I guess. I hadnt even looked into shipping prices.

Blackviking, I called around the local truck shops, sounded like most just put on new shoes and said no one does that around here.

Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,270
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,270

Joined: May 2010
Posts: 43
W
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
W Offline
Joined: May 2010
Posts: 43

Hey thanks!! That isnt too bad, $63.79 to do both fronts! I just got an email from some folks in NJ that will reline for $35 per shoe. So buying the fronts new is definately a better deal. Man I wish the rears were available!

Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,270
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,270
What size tires are on the rear wheels?

Joined: May 2010
Posts: 43
W
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
W Offline
Joined: May 2010
Posts: 43
Originally Posted by tclederman
What size tires are on the rear wheels?
[img]http://[/img]
20x9
Are these wheels safe?
Attachments

Joined: May 2010
Posts: 43
W
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
W Offline
Joined: May 2010
Posts: 43
My rear brake drums appear to be 15” diameter with a 4” shoe width. Fronts are 14”x 2-1/2” shoes
The pair of shoes that were on rock auto disappeared! My Napa also has them the 90 plus a 20 core.

Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 6,214
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 6,214
Originally Posted by Wvgearhead
My rear brake drums appear to be 15” diameter with a 4” shoe width.

15x4 would be correct for the Corporate Chevrolet rear in both single and 2-speed configuration.

Mike B smile


Mike Boteler

1956 Chevy 3100 Resto Rod
1952 Willys M38 Army Jeep
1983 Jeep CJ7 Laredo
1984 Jeep CJ7
+++++
Silver Spring, MD
Joined: Dec 2018
Posts: 2,450
F
'Bolter
'Bolter
F Offline
Joined: Dec 2018
Posts: 2,450
Wv In 1978 you could buy lining,rivets,even paper-like shims (asbestos so they cant burn-up) to line shoes. At the time I had afoot operated punch press that would punch-out the old and set the new rivets. Now looks like your best bet is South Bend .

Joined: Sep 2019
Posts: 204
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Sep 2019
Posts: 204
A word of caution, I bought a pair of front shoes off of the internet and even though the website said they would fit a 2 ton the linings were much thinner than the stock linings, definitely not heavy enough. I returned them and asked the website to stop advertising them for 1 1/2-2 ton trucks. I tried NAPA but my local store said the brake shoes were unavailable so I'm curious what your store is selling

Joined: May 2010
Posts: 43
W
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
W Offline
Joined: May 2010
Posts: 43
Originally Posted by Chevy's till I d
A word of caution, I bought a pair of front shoes off of the internet and even though the website said they would fit a 2 ton the linings were much thinner than the stock linings, definitely not heavy enough. I returned them and asked the website to stop advertising them for 1 1/2-2 ton trucks. I tried NAPA but my local store said the brake shoes were unavailable so I'm curious what your store is selling
I looked on NAPA online and 2 front options came up.
NAPA Front Brake Shoes
Part # :
FLT FT299R
NAPA Ultra Premium Front Brake Shoes Riveted
Part # :
UP UP299R


Moderated by  69Cuda, Super55 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0