The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (Otto Skorzeny, Pre '68 Dave, BCBill), 289 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,101
Posts1,056,178
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1390415 12/30/2020 5:06 AM
Joined: Jun 2020
Posts: 197
C
1950 Chevy 3100 216 3 Speed.
1950 Chevy 3100 216 3 Speed.
C Offline
Joined: Jun 2020
Posts: 197
I am considering an under bed fuel tank for my 1950 restoration project. I have rebuild the 216. Runs like top top. But I am considering moving the fuel tank out of the cab. I am looking at the fuel tank from The Truck Shop in Orange CA. I can’t find any information on if the tank will just bolt in place. No modifications to the original chassis? I have looked for installation instructions but cannot find them on the internet. I am hoping it is just bolt in place. With this tank with the standard fuel pump? And information is appreciated. Thank you.

Last edited by ChevyDarren; 12/30/2020 5:07 AM.

Darren
Current Project - 1950 3100 5 Window with a rebuilt 216 and 3 speed trans
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 50
5
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
5 Offline
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 50
I bought my SS tank from Brothers and It was a simple fit up IF you dont use the side fill anymore. Instructions came with it. That was back in 2004.


1951 Chevy 3100 5-window
261 cu in, 348 Head, Split Fenton Exhaust
Offy with Dual Weber 2 Bbl Carbs
Joined: Dec 2020
Posts: 1,963
G
'Bolter
'Bolter
G Offline
Joined: Dec 2020
Posts: 1,963
I put a brothers tank in my 58. Drill holes and bolt up.
The mechanical fuel pump works fine at that distance.
I had trouble with a "hinge" type sending unit. Inner walls of tank were too close.
15 feet of braided fuel line was enough. I had to remove the spare tire rack.
Attachments
tankw.JPG (209.76 KB, 276 downloads)


~ BD.
"You won't find me in an old folks home" Pioneer Florida Cracker
1958 Apache Stepside
1958 Apache 1/2 ton Panel
1959 Apache 1/2 ton Panel
Joined: Jun 2020
Posts: 197
C
1950 Chevy 3100 216 3 Speed.
1950 Chevy 3100 216 3 Speed.
C Offline
Joined: Jun 2020
Posts: 197
Thank you for the input. I will check out the Brothers tank. I like the idea of a SS tank. I was set on the Truck Shop tank because it also comes with all the supplies required. Also, thank for the great picture. That really helps.

Last edited by ChevyDarren; 12/30/2020 7:26 PM.

Darren
Current Project - 1950 3100 5 Window with a rebuilt 216 and 3 speed trans
Joined: Dec 2020
Posts: 1,963
G
'Bolter
'Bolter
G Offline
Joined: Dec 2020
Posts: 1,963
The bros. tank will only come with the mounting bar and bolts.
Fittings , plug , rollover vent , fuel fill separate.


~ BD.
"You won't find me in an old folks home" Pioneer Florida Cracker
1958 Apache Stepside
1958 Apache 1/2 ton Panel
1959 Apache 1/2 ton Panel
Joined: Jan 2016
Posts: 1,101
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Jan 2016
Posts: 1,101
Will an original 47.2/48 under the bed tank fit? Did the 49 frame change from the 48? What about fitting a 48 tank forward of the rear axle on a 54 3100? I have been thinking about moving the gas tank in my 54 3100 out of the cab. I just recently added an underbed spare tire carrier so I would have to put the tank in front of the rear axle where they were located in 47/48.


Dave from Northern Kentucky
My 54 3100
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Here is the "under bed" fuel tank for 1954 panel-body trucks (Panel, Suburban, Canopy Express).

My uneducated guess is that the panel body "bed" is no lower than a pickup bed?

47-53 pu-beds and panel-body-bed might be different in "clearance".

Let's hope that someone reports/replies who has done this on/with a pick-up truck (please state the year).

Joined: Dec 2014
Posts: 678
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Dec 2014
Posts: 678
Originally Posted by dgrinnan
Will an original 47.2/48 under the bed tank fit? Did the 49 frame change from the 48? What about fitting a 48 tank forward of the rear axle on a 54 3100? I have been thinking about moving the gas tank in my 54 3100 out of the cab. I just recently added an underbed spare tire carrier so I would have to put the tank in front of the rear axle where they were located in 47/48.

The early-style 47-48 frame-mount tank should fit your 54, but you'll have to relocate your filler neck and fill the hole in the side of your cab.

I've always assumed that the 47-54 Panel/Suburban side-mount gas tank is the same as the original 47-48 pickup tank. I see them available in reproduction.


1951 Chevy Panel Truck
Joined: Feb 2019
Posts: 4,480
AD Addict & Tinkerer
AD Addict & Tinkerer
Joined: Feb 2019
Posts: 4,480
Where does the filler neck come out on a 47-48 pickup?


Phil
Moderator, The Engine Shop, Interiors and Project Journals

1952 Chevrolet 3100, Three on the Tree, 4:11 torque tube
Updated to: ‘59 235 w/hydraulic lifters, 12v w/alternator, HEI, PCV and Power front Disc Brakes
Project Journals
Stovebolt Gallery Forum
Phak1 #1391490 01/06/2021 12:55 PM
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269

Joined: Feb 2019
Posts: 4,480
AD Addict & Tinkerer
AD Addict & Tinkerer
Joined: Feb 2019
Posts: 4,480
Thanks Tim! It appears to come out the side of the bed below the floor. I need to replace my in cab tank and have been considering the 47-48 tank option.


Phil
Moderator, The Engine Shop, Interiors and Project Journals

1952 Chevrolet 3100, Three on the Tree, 4:11 torque tube
Updated to: ‘59 235 w/hydraulic lifters, 12v w/alternator, HEI, PCV and Power front Disc Brakes
Project Journals
Stovebolt Gallery Forum
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 281
5
'Bolter
'Bolter
5 Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 281
If installing a 47 fuel tank in a 49-53 truck you will need to replace one or two cross sills. The original 47 sill was notched to allow the tank to tuck up closer to the wood floor. Either notch your existing sill to accommodate the tank or use a repro or original cross sill for that application. Installing in a 54-55 will be a problem because the wood floor is about 2" lower and will cause the tank to hang well below the frame.

Mark

Joined: Feb 2019
Posts: 4,480
AD Addict & Tinkerer
AD Addict & Tinkerer
Joined: Feb 2019
Posts: 4,480
Do you know how the straps are mounted to the truck. Borrowed the illustration from LMC Truck.
Attachments

Last edited by Phak1; 01/06/2021 5:42 PM.

Phil
Moderator, The Engine Shop, Interiors and Project Journals

1952 Chevrolet 3100, Three on the Tree, 4:11 torque tube
Updated to: ‘59 235 w/hydraulic lifters, 12v w/alternator, HEI, PCV and Power front Disc Brakes
Project Journals
Stovebolt Gallery Forum

Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0