The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
5 members (Dennys28, Steelonsteel, Opelika Tom, Guitplayer, Ponchogl), 120 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,134
Posts1,056,401
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1390336 12/30/2020 12:06 AM
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,983
B
Sir Searchalot
Sir Searchalot
B Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,983
Can't bust em loose? They strip out? Frustrated? Buy This. Buzz it and buzz it with your air chisel motor and then turn while buzzing some more. Greatest tool for $18 you can buy. Heat, liquid wrench and this on the really ones. The vibration is the key, Works the oil down in, busts the rust and shakes her loose.


Right is right, even if everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it. - William Penn
Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 2,412
J
Former Workshop Owner
Former Workshop Owner
J Offline
Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 2,412
Interesting, never seen or heard of such a tool. I thought for sure the link would show a hand impact tool. The type that requires the use of a hammer.

John


~ J Lucas
2006 GMC Envoy 4.2 I6
2023 Ram 2500/Cumins 6.7 I6
2010 Jeep Grand Cherokee (Wife’s)
2002 Silverado 2500 Gas 6.0
1941 Chevy 1/2-Ton
1942 Chevy 1.5-Ton SWB
In the Gallery
My Flicker Photos!
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,440
Bolter
Bolter
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,440
Same principle just uses air.


Martin
'62 Chevy C-10 Stepside Shortbed (Restomod in progress)
'47 Chevy 3100 5 Window (long term project)
‘65 Chevy Biscayne (Emily)
‘39 Dodge Business Coupe (Clarence)
“I fought the law and the law won" now I are a retired one!
Support those brave men/women who stand the "Thin Blue Line"! Hug a cop!
USAF 1965-1969 Weather Observation Tech (I got paid to look at the clouds)

Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,708
W
back yard wrench turner
back yard wrench turner
W Online: Content
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,708
I made a couple of these when I rebuilt my truck. One is a straight blade and one is a phillips head welded to a pointed tip and a screwdriver handle welded on the side. It will back out a screw very easily. There should be one in all tool boxes.
I like the interchangeable tip on this model.


Wayne
1938 1-Ton Farm Truck
Stovebolt Gallery Forums
1989 Silverado
1996 Mustang GT convertible
When I die, I hope she doesn't sell everything for what I told her I paid for it!

Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,983
B
Sir Searchalot
Sir Searchalot
B Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,983
Actually it is not the same principle as the hammer type. This one has several differences/advantages. You provide the turning with your hand on this one. The hammer blows provide the turn on the other. That can damage what you are trying to disassemble. For example: if you are trying to get a hinge off of a door jamb, the hammer type will bend the jamb inward and deform the area before you get the screws loose. There are other places where this can happen also. A motor can be irreparably damaged and etc.
The are times you have no room to swing a hammer.

Wayne, you can "chuck up" an old valve to flatten metal.

A heavy equipment field mechanic will take off bolts on some big part and it won't free up. They use a flattened chisel or bar on their air motor and vibrate the object all over it. Then it comes loose. No room to swing a hammer to tap it all around.

Another tool I have similar to all this, that takes off hardened grease, is a Harbor Freight needler. Super good.


Right is right, even if everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it. - William Penn
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,281
5
Renaissance Man
Renaissance Man
5 Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,281
I made one of those and formed the business end to 3/8" do that i can use sockets and adapters to use hex shaft clutch head and other bits.
That tool very seldom fails me.


1952 5-window - return to "as built" condition | 1950 3100 with a 235 and a T-5 transmission
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,814
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,814
My Black & Decker 3/8" drive battery powered impact wrench has a variable-speed trigger that allows me to do the same kind of thing. Hold firm pressure against the screw head after soaking the stubborn screw with KROIL for a while, and gently hammer on it in both directions. It's a lot simpler than hooking up an air line, firing up the compressor, etc.
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,076
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,076
I've had similar success with a 1/4" drive Dewalt impact driver. Gently working at it is the key to getting stubborn fasteners loose without destroying the head. That and a proper fitting bit.


Kevin
1951 Chevy 3100 work truck
Follow this saga in Project Journal
Photos
1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car)
Busting rust since the mid-60's
If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,708
W
back yard wrench turner
back yard wrench turner
W Online: Content
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,708
Originally Posted by bartamos
Wayne, you can "chuck up" an old valve to flatten metal.

How does it stay in the air hammer without the raised area behind the spring?


Wayne
1938 1-Ton Farm Truck
Stovebolt Gallery Forums
1989 Silverado
1996 Mustang GT convertible
When I die, I hope she doesn't sell everything for what I told her I paid for it!

Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,983
B
Sir Searchalot
Sir Searchalot
B Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,983
You said you made something like this so I thought you could make one with an old valve. I don't know how you made the others.


Right is right, even if everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it. - William Penn
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,708
W
back yard wrench turner
back yard wrench turner
W Online: Content
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,708
Originally Posted by bartamos
You said you made something like this so I thought you could make one with an old valve. I don't know how you made the others.
I would have to weld the valve to one of the factory tips dang


Wayne
1938 1-Ton Farm Truck
Stovebolt Gallery Forums
1989 Silverado
1996 Mustang GT convertible
When I die, I hope she doesn't sell everything for what I told her I paid for it!


Moderated by  MNSmith 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0