I recently did some checking on super singles(22-5’s) and they were prohibitively expensive($1,200. ) and had 200 plies or so for concrete trucks, etc. Decided against that.
10 and 12 by 16,5 tires used to be used for the but they have become out of favor for years.
Decided to stick with duals.
Ed
'37 GMC T-18 w/ DD 4-53T, RTO-610, 6231 aux., '95 GMC running gear, full disc brakes, power steering, 22.5 wheels and tires. '47 GMC 1 ton w/ 302, NP-540, 4wd, full width Blazer front axle. '54 GMC 630 w/ 503 gasser, 5 speed, ex fire truck, shortened WB 4', install 8' bed. '55 GMC 370 w/270, 420 4 speed, grain, dump bed truck from ND. Works OK.
In what sort of fantasy world does a 3/4 ton truck have dual rear wheels? Jerry
"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt! There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Jerry, I'm new to this, correct me if I'm wrong but looking up the vin and title, everything shows to be a 3/4 ton truck. Vin starts with 3E indicating a 3600, 3/4 ton correct? Did someone potentially throw a 1 ton dually rear under it?
Trich, Yes, 3E indicates a 3600 truck. According to the GMheritage center docs there was a dual wheel option for 1957 3600 trucks. To verify that yours was equipped from the factory with duals, check the GVW rating. A GVW of 6900 lbs. should indicate dual wheels. Also, you may want to check the wheelbase: 3600s had a 123.25" wheelbase, while the 3800s had a 135.0" wheelbase. I don't know a whole lot about these trucks, but I do own a 1957 3600, a 1956 3800, and a 1959 3800.
Yea it seems rare, I can't seem to find much info on them. I just picked it up over the weekend. Needs a total rehab. It will be my first. I have a lot of ideas in my head, but now that your thinking its a fairly rare truck, maybe I should keep it all original. I'll snap some pictures tomorrow
Yea it seems rare, I can't seem to find much info on them. I just picked it up over the weekend. Needs a total rehab. It will be my first. I have a lot of ideas in my head, but now that your thinking its a fairly rare truck, maybe I should keep it all original. I'll snap some pictures tomorrow
Do you have a pickup-type bed, or is there a flat bed installed? Duals under a pickup bed would require some pretty creative fender modifications, even if it was a factory option. Jerry
"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt! There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
I've seen pickup fenders split down the middle and a piece of sheet metal about 6" wide added to cover dual wheels. It works, but it makes the truck look a little funny. Jerry
"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt! There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
I think it would look badass. It’s possible with adaptors. I don’t know whose truck this is, found pics online but appears to be an 8 lug to 10 lug semi rims adaptors. Wheels and tires would be extremely expensive new but there are tons of used on eBay.
In at least some states, that setup would be a traffic ticket magnet- - - - -tires that stick out past the fenders without at least a rubber flare covering them present a foreign object hazard to nearby vehicles. There's something about getting a rock thrown from a tire tread through a windshield that doesn't impress most people! Jerry
"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt! There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Tony, yes thats what I'm looking to do. I have a lead on the rears already. I dont know if there's a company out there that make the 8 lug to 10 lug adapters, that match our bolt pattern. I know they're out there for the newer models.
Jerry, I plan to piece fenders together to make them wide enough to cover tire
1970 Chevrolet C10 Grandpa's -- My first truck -- In progress to shiny Follow the build in the Project Journal 1950 Chevrolet 1-Ton Dually "Ole Red Girl" In the Stovebolt Gallery More pictures here 1951 GMC 9430 1 ton dually--Shiny! | 1972 Chevrolet C20- Rusty- the puzzle box lid for the C10 | 1962 AMC Rambler American- my wife's Parts trucks- 1951 GMC 9300 | 1951-GMC 9430 | 1951- Chevrolet 1300
It was rather common to buy a vehicle in the 1950's and then try to haul more with it than it was designed for. There were adapters sold in the 1950s and 60s to make dual wheels out of singles. They used the regular wheels that were designed for singles and you had to remove the outside wheel to check the air on the inside tire. Quite often they removed the fender all together or made one out of an old barrel. On a flatbed it didn't make any difference. I run singles on my bulk hauling fleet. 445/50R22.5 on aluminum hub piloted. It would take quite a bit of horse power just to turn them. As for the cost, $1,200 is list. I buy them for considerably less on my Michelin national account.
Michelin advertises a drive tire 445/50R22.5 on an aluminum wheel at 248 lbs. Trailer tires weight a few pounds less because they have less tread depth. Here is the Michelin brochure.