The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
7 members (Jon G, papas52, Peggy M, Hotrod Lincoln, ronsway, 2 invisible), 80 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,087
Posts1,056,340
Members48,442
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1383472 11/04/2020 8:45 PM
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 85
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 85
Anyone recommend a good engine machine shop in the south for my 216. Prefer to take to someone that knows 216 rather than watching over them.


1951 Chevy 3600 rust bucket with GarWood dump bed conversion
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mikeybs51chevy
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,826
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Online: Content
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,826
Are you looking for a full rebuild, or a "freshen-up? Very few people know how to properly fit and adjust Babbit connecting rods, as the most common approach is to bore the rods for replacement bearings. I like to use standard bore 235 aluminum pistons, which involves a .060" overbore, ending up 224 cubic inches, and a lighter weight rotating assembly which is much kinder to the rod bearings.

Currently, I'm working on putting a 235 rotating assembly in a 216 block, which eliminates the Babbit rods and adds a pressurized crankshaft. The engine will look exactly like a 216 from the outside.
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 85
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 85
Its a full rebuild. 1 & 6 pistons were seized from water/rust so boring cylinders oversize and I don’t know what else.

I’m asking because of the babbit bearings. So again looking for recommendations of actual experience with an engine machine shop in South doing a 216.

Thanks
Mike

Last edited by Mikeybakken; 11/05/2020 4:45 AM.

1951 Chevy 3600 rust bucket with GarWood dump bed conversion
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mikeybs51chevy
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,826
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Online: Content
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,826
I found out about 60 years ago that the way to get Babbit rods right was to do it myself. Use Prussian Blue and a 3-cornered scraper to fit the Babbit bearing material to the shaft, and shim stock to set the clearance. I taught dozens of high school auto mechanics students to do it. It's not "rocket surgery"! Most of the machinists who know how to do it right are like me- - - - -retired!
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Dec 2017
Posts: 1,652
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Dec 2017
Posts: 1,652
I cant make a recommendation, even for around these parts. I agree with Jerry, there are just not that many machinists with 216 experience around. So you may have to ride buckshot a little bit no matter where you take it. Haggerty did a 216 rebuild, posted articles and a couple of you tube videos that I thought were pretty well done and very interesting. You might consider going through the videos just to see if you can pick up something he4lpful.

https://www.hagerty.com/media/videos/behind-the-scenes-of-our-chevy-216-stovebolt-redline-rebuild/


Mike
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,826
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Online: Content
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,826
Mike, I just watched that video- - - -they're cheating with bored-out rods and insert bearings. That's OK, I guess, but those bearings haven't been made new in many years, and the supply of them is drying up rapidly. The machinist who has been grinding all my crankshafts since the late 1980's says that the only size that's readily available is .030" undersize. 20 under is virtually impossible to find, and the supply of 10's isn't a lot better. I've been boring the rods to fit Perkins Diesel bearings, which are available in standard diameter and several undersizes, but the crankshaft has to be ground to fit the bearing ID, about .060" under standard for the 216 crankshaft. That shouldn't be a problem, as the bearings don't care what size they are as long as the oil clearance is right. NASCAR engines are turning 9K RPM with a rod bearing size of 1.850" and they're only 3/4" wide!
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 85
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 85
Ok. I’ve poured babbit bearings, done machining, used prussian and dykem blue, plastigage.
Was just looking for a shop.
Thanks all.


1951 Chevy 3600 rust bucket with GarWood dump bed conversion
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mikeybs51chevy
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,441
Bolter
Bolter
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,441
Mikey, the guys are somewhat hesitant to provide recommendations because of hard feelings if your experience was not as good as their experience. Machine shops that are willing to tackle these old engines are getting few and far between. Sorry you found no help here.


Martin
'62 Chevy C-10 Stepside Shortbed (Restomod in progress)
'47 Chevy 3100 5 Window (long term project)
‘65 Chevy Biscayne (Emily)
‘39 Dodge Business Coupe (Clarence)
“I fought the law and the law won" now I are a retired one!
Support those brave men/women who stand the "Thin Blue Line"! Hug a cop!
USAF 1965-1969 Weather Observation Tech (I got paid to look at the clouds)

Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 3,413
T
Crusty Old Sarge
Crusty Old Sarge
T Offline
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 3,413
PM sent.


~ Craig
1958 Viking 4400
"The Book of Thor"
Read the story in the DITY
1960 Chevrolet C10
"A Family Heirloom"
Follow the story in the DITY Gallery
'59 Apache 31, 327 V8 (0.030 over), Muncie M20 4 Speed, GM 10 Bolt Rear... long term project (30 years and counting)

If you don't like driving yourTruck, you won't drive yourTruck..| Living life in the SLOW lane
Joined: Dec 2020
Posts: 5
M
New Guy
New Guy
M Offline
Joined: Dec 2020
Posts: 5
Did you find a place to go? I know everyone always says EGGE or whatever but California is a ways a way even from me in Oklahoma. I would think a place like Oklahoma would have a place as this practice would be more prevalent here in Farm Country because of old tractors. I want to keep my 216 but would like having the full oil pressure.


"Jane" 1949 Chevy 3600 - in progress
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,826
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Online: Content
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,826
I just acquired an aiming fixture for the spray-oiler nozzles in the oil pan. (Thanks, Evan!) That's a very important part of doing a quality rebuild of a Babbit rod engine, or one that has been converted to insert bearings, since the rod oiling is the same for either one. The owner of the place where I bought one of my crankshaft grinders, King's Crankshaft in North Carolina, tells me that he would be able to drill a 216 crankshaft for internal oiling of the rod bearings, but the first one he does would involve a pretty considerable programming charge for his CNC equipment. Since he makes most of his living whittling NASCAR crankshafts out of solid billets of steel, I'm sure he would be able to do a good job!
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 2,832
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 2,832
A bit west from you but Piranial's Antique Engines in Denton, Texas is beyond compare but VERY expensive. Dennis is the consummate perfectionist so his work is well paid for. Do a search to see options offered.


Evan
Joined: Aug 2018
Posts: 351
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Aug 2018
Posts: 351
Evan,

Thanks for the pointer. I'm not far from Piranio's, but hadn't run into their work. Looks like a lot of vintage flathead stuff, but certainly relevant "technology."

Here's the website, Jerry: Piranio's Antique Automotive.

Thanks, again, Evan.

Doug


1947 2nd-Series GMC FC152 3/4-ton
Follow the story in the DITY

1953 Chevy Bel Air Sport Coupe Powerglide
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 85
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 85
Got a local place, been around long time, does a lot of old tractor engines. Had a good feeling because as soon as I told him what I had he said he doesn't do babbet bearings. He will clean, and mic everything, I can mic as well. I think it will need boring as #1 & #6 were rusted seized. I can do she shimming. So I will know in a couple weeks, he is backed up. Will use EGGE, know them from years ago building racing engines.

TUTS 59 sent me a suggesting, trying to stay kinda local.


1951 Chevy 3600 rust bucket with GarWood dump bed conversion
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mikeybs51chevy
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,826
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Online: Content
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,826
Where in "GA" are you, and exactly what do you need done? I've got approximately 100 Babbit rods stockpiled, some reconditioned, others "good used" condition, and at least one set of brand new, never run WW II surplus rods, still in heavy canvas and Cosmoline wrappings. I've been collecting them for eventual conversion to Perkins Diesel rod bearings and custom grinding of the crankshaft to fit the bearings.
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0