I have a 51 3100 with stock rims and stock suspension. The rims are 16", 6 lug with 5.5" lug spacing. I don't know the width of the rim - I would have to remove the tire from the rim to measure and I can't do that for a while. I would like to get another stock rim to replace one of mine (it's a little wonky). Are there different size rims or is there a standard size? If I can't find a stock rim what would be the rim and tire size can I look for in a junkyard?
I think I also want to replace my current tires with radials next year. Is there an optimal size tire that works well with the current stock rims?
Standard rims on a 3100 would be 4.5 inches wide. The optional rims were 15 inch diameter. Most of the guys here recommend 215-85R16 radial tires as very close to the original 600-16 tires.
Kevin 1951 Chevy 3100 work truck Follow this saga in Project Journal Photos 1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car) Busting rust since the mid-60's If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.
Older truck rims were 4". I had a set painted the same color as my cab only to find one of them was 4". I still used it with a tubeless tire just like the other 3 4 1/2" rims without any issues.
1952 5-window - return to "as built" condition | 1950 3100 with a 235 and a T-5 transmission
True, up thru at least 1949 (couldn't find wheel info in the 1950 Vehicle Info Kit), base wheels were 4" wide for 1/2 tons. But the 1951 Vehicle Info Kit definitely says 4-1/2 inch width. 4-1/2 inch width wheels were an option on the earlier trucks.
Kevin 1951 Chevy 3100 work truck Follow this saga in Project Journal Photos 1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car) Busting rust since the mid-60's If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.
Saw that, but it doesn't mention WHEEL widths. IIRC 600-16 and 650-16 were mounted on 4.5" wide wheels. The earlier 4" wide wheels probably only mounted 600-16 tires, but I didn't go back and check.
Kevin 1951 Chevy 3100 work truck Follow this saga in Project Journal Photos 1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car) Busting rust since the mid-60's If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.
But how do you interpolate between 4" wide (1949) and 4-1/2" wide (1951)? 4-1/4??
Kevin 1951 Chevy 3100 work truck Follow this saga in Project Journal Photos 1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car) Busting rust since the mid-60's If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.
Kevin 1951 Chevy 3100 work truck Follow this saga in Project Journal Photos 1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car) Busting rust since the mid-60's If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.