| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,075 Posts1,056,279 Members48,441 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Apr 2020 Posts: 102 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Apr 2020 Posts: 102 | So, I pulled the motor out of the truck since it was smoking on acceleration. Seems like it could be the rings, not sure. Compression check proved that even when I added oil to the cylinders, it did not change the compression, stayed right at 155-160 for all cylinders.
It is out of the truck and I am considering taking it to a machine shop, just not sure if I want to put that much money into it. On the other hand, I may just hone the cylinders, check bores, and install new rings.
Anyone in this area know of a good shop? Maybe around Orange or Santa Ana CA? I am in Rancho Santa Margarita, a bit further south.
Thanks!
1963 C20, 292 (4.8L). 4-speed.
| | | | | Joined: Sep 2010 Posts: 2,318 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Sep 2010 Posts: 2,318 | I thought that if you put oil in the cylinders if the rings were worn the compression would go up .Maybe just the head needs to be freshened up,but I am no expert would have been better to diagnose it while still in the truck | | | | | Joined: Feb 2004 Posts: 29,821 Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer) | | Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer) Joined: Feb 2004 Posts: 29,821 | Try a cylinder leakdown test instead of relying on compression alone. 155-60 is excellent compression for a stovebolt engine- - - -it sounds like you're dealing with loose intake valve guides, not ring trouble. Most likely, a valve job will put you back in business- - -no need to change the rings unless there are other problems such as badly taper-worn cylinders, which will also require reboring the cylinders and installing oversize pistons. Jerry
"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt! There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
| | | | | Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 2,098 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 2,098 | George, You said previously the truck had sat for some time. As stated above, it sounds more like valve guides and or seals. If it needs head work or a rebuild you can contact Jay at Surf City Machine, just off Beach Blvd near Slater. 714-848-1062. I just had some work done there on a Willys M38. Fred
1956 3100 Pickup/Red/350/3sp OD/PS/Disc Brakes 1957 Bel Air Sport Coupe/Red/355/TH350/PS/Disc Brakes 2017 Silverado LT Single Cab SB/Black/5.3/6 Speed Trans 1947 Willys CJ2A w/F-Head engine
| | |
| |
| |