The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
5 members (Gdads51, Rich'sToys, jasrking, TooMany2count, FishinToms53), 119 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,126
Posts1,056,354
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Nov 2015
Posts: 34
T
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
T Offline
Joined: Nov 2015
Posts: 34
I've got a 1953 2-ton that was converted to 12V by the previous owner. He also put in a new wiring harness. The alternator isn't charging now and I fugured to just replace the 1-wire unit he had in there with a another. Then I noticed the plug that appears to be for a three wire unit zip tied off to the side. See picture below.

One wire on the plug disappears into the harness. The other just has an eyelet on the end of a short wire. I believe that eyelet goes to the battery wire stud, but not sure. What should I do? Stick with 1-wire or use the plug on a 3-wire. If I use the plug, does that eyelet go to the charging stud on the alternator?
Attachments
20200913_223604.jpg (160.78 KB, 83 downloads)
20200913_223531.jpg (192.25 KB, 84 downloads)


You want to make God laugh? Tell him you plans.
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 3,441
Moderator - The Electrical Bay
Moderator - The Electrical Bay
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 3,441
This picture was just posted a couple days ago, it may or may not help.
Attachments
3-wire-better.jpg (10.21 KB, 63 downloads)

Last edited by Rusty Rod; 09/14/2020 4:11 PM.

Another quality post.
Real Trucks Rattle
HELP! The Paranoids are after me!
Joined: Feb 2019
Posts: 4,482
AD Addict & Tinkerer
AD Addict & Tinkerer
Joined: Feb 2019
Posts: 4,482
I found this site to have real clear instructions. 12-VOLT NEGATIVE GROUND 3 WIRE INSTRUCTIONS

The Idiot light is nice to have, but can be eliminated from the wire going to the ignition or to the ignition side of the ballast resister.

Personally I would install it.

Last edited by Phak1; 09/16/2020 2:53 AM.

Phil
Moderator, The Engine Shop, Interiors and Project Journals

1952 Chevrolet 3100, Three on the Tree, 4:11 torque tube
Updated to: ‘59 235 w/hydraulic lifters, 12v w/alternator, HEI, PCV and Power front Disc Brakes
Project Journals
Stovebolt Gallery Forum

Moderated by  Jon G, Rusty Rod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0