The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
5 members (Barry Martak, J Lucas, rfs56trk, Otto Skorzeny, 1 invisible), 86 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,094
Posts1,056,487
Members48,444
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 181
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 181
I'm repairing the vacuum actuation assembly on a 58 Chevy two speed rear (GM, not Eaton). I pulled the entire housing off the axle in order to check that the lever mechanism is operating freely. It is. Could someone who is familiar with this axle tell me if 'lever up' is low or high range? Thanks!


1955 GMC 630, 1959 GMC W660, 1958 Chevy Spartan 80
Joined: Sep 2013
Posts: 15
5
'Bolter
'Bolter
5 Offline
Joined: Sep 2013
Posts: 15
Normally with the lever up you should be in high speed. However if the vacuum hoses get switched around you would be in low. IRONICALLY I have a 1958 C 60 Viking truck and the hoses are switched so I am in low with the lever up.

Joined: Sep 2019
Posts: 204
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Sep 2019
Posts: 204
If it's a timken axle the lever up is high gear on my 1955 first series 6400. Might be different on a 1958 but it's probably the same

Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 6,214
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 6,214
Yes, up is High range on the Corporate Chevrolet rears...

You never park a 2-speed in High range because gravity is pulling the shaft down and if it gets half way due to vibrations or whatever the rear can slip into neutral and allow the truck to roll free...not a good thing!

Mike B smile


Mike Boteler

1956 Chevy 3100 Resto Rod
1952 Willys M38 Army Jeep
1983 Jeep CJ7 Laredo
1984 Jeep CJ7
+++++
Silver Spring, MD
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 181
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 181
Thanks for the great responses....my concern was that the hoses had been switched over time, as there was evidence that someone had fooled with them.... but they are right (up for hi) and I jacked up one side of the rear to check this. Mike B, I discovered that there is indeed a 'neutral' position between hi and low, and I can see how easy it would be to slip into this position. This truck had been in low range for many years because the vacuum diaphram was torn and gravity had brought the lever down to the lower position. Now that I have put the truck on the road for the first time in at least 35 years, I have discovered a new problem (performance in hi range). I'll post on that separately.


1955 GMC 630, 1959 GMC W660, 1958 Chevy Spartan 80

Moderated by  69Cuda, Super55 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0