The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (78buckshot, Nick in Manitou, Cletus1950, HandyAndy), 105 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,130
Posts1,056,720
Members48,454
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Apr 2020
Posts: 33
Y
'Bolter
'Bolter
Y Offline
Joined: Apr 2020
Posts: 33
My truck (1951 GMC 2ton) was repainted in the mid 90s. The job was done fairly well, and it’s mostly been stored inside since. I understand that I will have to repaint it sometime, but I would like to wait a few years as it looks really good (from 10 feet away at least), and I want to focus on the mechanical side of things for now.

The most concerning spot for me right now is the horizontal seam along the back of the cab below the window. There are a few spots in that seam where the paint is starting to fail and I don’t want rust to take hold. Is there something I can spray in there to prevent rust. Wax doesn’t really get into the back of the seam. I’m nervous to use a silicone spray, because I don’t want it to be impossible to paint later.

Any tips?

Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,270
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,270
Please do not use anything with silicone on or near your truck (if you you want to avoid future paint/painting problems).

I cleaned out as far down as I could "reach" with wire wheel, then I drizzled-down a rust converter into the seam.

Joined: Mar 2014
Posts: 4,504
J
Moderator, Electrical Bay
Moderator, Electrical Bay
J Offline
Joined: Mar 2014
Posts: 4,504
Please don't get anything containing silicone nor oil near that seam. You won't like it if you do. Without sanding and repainting about the only thing you could do would be to paint the seam with something clear (like RustOleum) and let it be for a while. Use a small brush like an artist's brush and give it a couple of coats. As for seams in doors, what I do is to remove the door, turn it on one side, take about 1 ounce of oil-based enamel and pour it in the door so that it runs into the seam between the skin and the back panel. Then move the door from side to side to let that paint flow into the seam nicely from top to bottom. And then let it dry still sitting up on the side. Repeat for the other side and when you get to the bottom seam, be sure to cover all the vents with masking tape. Once the paint is dry, remove the masking tape and use a hobby knife to cut any paint that skinned over. That usually will keep water from wicking into that seam (where it is guaranteed to cause rust). Good luck.


~ Jon
1952 1/2 ton with 1959 235 | T5 with 3.07 rear end
Joined: Apr 2020
Posts: 33
Y
'Bolter
'Bolter
Y Offline
Joined: Apr 2020
Posts: 33
this is a great idea. i’ll use some clear coat for touch up where i can. i’ve seen what silicone can do, so i’ll avoid it.


Moderated by  klhansen 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0