The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
6 members (3800rao, IHPWR, Lightholder's Dad, Leo, Gdads51, 1 invisible), 84 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,087
Posts1,056,344
Members48,442
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Apr 2006
Posts: 12
B
Junior Member
Junior Member
B Offline
Joined: Apr 2006
Posts: 12
I have a '53 Chev. 3100

I'm interested in hot roding it. I would like to use all antique parts in my build.

There is an ad in the paper for a '67 model 327 / 350hp engine. Was this a stock displacement engine in '67?

What I want to do is build a stock of parts for the truck and then build it.

Do any of you know of books and web sites I could use to gain knowledge of the parts I need to gather. I would like to use a 4 speed trans and I would like to learn what transmissions, rear diff. gears to use.

thank's
Bruce

Last edited by Peggy M; 09/04/2023 3:50 PM. Reason: added more info to the title

Living the simple life ain't simple
Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 262
P
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
P Offline
Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 262
The 327 was available from '62 through '68 or '69 (I think!) Sorry, can't help you much with the rest of it.


My truck: She may not be the prettiest girl at the dance, but she's all mine!
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 187
5
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
5 Offline
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 187
1962-1969 Chevrolet By The Numbers (a book)has a wealth of information as does www.mortec.com (website)

Joined: Apr 2006
Posts: 12
B
Junior Member
Junior Member
B Offline
Joined: Apr 2006
Posts: 12
Thank's

Anybody got any other info? I need all the help I can get.


Living the simple life ain't simple
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 65
1
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
1 Offline
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 65
Hey Big ,

You need to go to the book store and look at the automotive books, there have been many books on the small block chevy and parts interchange. The other thing to remember is that all pre 86 engines looked similar and it's easy to make a 1973 350 look like a 1958 283, most people can't tell the diffrence. The best advice I can give you is build the biggest engine you can afford, the power comes easier.

Sean


doing what you love is happiness
loving what you do is freedom
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 180
5
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
5 Offline
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 180
I can tell you that in 1967 there were actually two versions of the 327 that you could get....the first being a 327 cubic inch 325hp model. This was the most common, and was used in most cars (and probably trucks) However, I wanna say its called an L78 for some reason, but that was a 1967 production engine that was 327 cubic inches and 350hp. This was the "high output" 327 engine for 67. My dad has a factory numbers matching 327/350 in a 1967 Chevelle 300 sedan 2 door. It also has the factory 4 speed and is a ton of fun to drive.


1950 Chevy 3100 5 window "in progress"
1967 Chevelle 300
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 584
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 584
Yes, get to a big bookstore and you will get some good picture books. Don't forget to see what they can order concerning your needs...maybe books on rat rods, or older customs.

50chevScott, I think that was the 210hp stock and the 275hp high output 327 regarding the factory chevy machines.


When I yield to Him, it's amazing how peaceful and enjoyable life is meant to be.

1947 Chevy COE
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More photos
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
W
Riding in the Passing Lane
Riding in the Passing Lane
W Offline
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
I think the first thing you need to explore is putting the v-8 engine in that chassis. It is not a real easy swap although it,s been done a jillion times. Do a search on this websight. There has been some posts on it & like the fellow bolters say get books & articles on it.


They say money can't buy happiness. It can buy old Chevy trucks though. Same thing.
1972 Chevy c10 Cheyenne Super
In the Gallery Forum
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 40
5
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
5 Offline
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 40
Mid to late sixties 327s did come out with a 350hp engine, i think most of them were in the vettes. Just built one for my dad and did a few tricks to it and now its 410hp/465tq.

Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 184
3
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
3 Offline
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 184
Not as sure on trucks, but Chevy put 327's in the Corvettes, Chevelles & Novas in 67. Basically all the SS cars. I think the 4 speed for 67 was a Muncie. At least I think that was the case. I'm sure someone who knows far more than I can add to that.

Off topic, but didn't the vette have a 427 option too around that time?


If it ain't broke, take it apart and figure out why!
39 Chevy in the Gallery
Photobucket Album
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 187
5
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
5 Offline
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 187
1967 327/350 would have one of the following block suffix codes: HD, HP, HT, KH, ZI, ZG, ZJ. In 1967, 327's were availible in the following HP's: 275, 300, 350, and 325. PM me with more info on your block and I can probably tell you what it came out of if was passenger car. The 327 was probably the best SBC that Chevy ever made, including the 350. They're high winders and were able to develope more HP per cubic inch than any other small block from the factory. Others may tend to argue this fact...but they're extremely reliable.

Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 180
5
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
5 Offline
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 180
Agreed 5Wests. My dads 67 Chevelle was ordered from the factory in 67 with a 327/350hp. It was indeed a Muncie 4 speed. It is a real WICKED powerplant, and I would put it up against many "relatively" stock 350's, and probably any "relatively stock" small block.


1950 Chevy 3100 5 window "in progress"
1967 Chevelle 300
Joined: Apr 2006
Posts: 12
B
Junior Member
Junior Member
B Offline
Joined: Apr 2006
Posts: 12
Thank's for the reply's
5wests those codes will help alot ... I don't have this engine yet ... I was trying to verify that it existed ... and find a way to identify it

I certainly agree with all you guy's about buying books ... at the time I ask my question I was dealing with a guy on the engine and didn't have the time to find a book and research for engine codes ... that ngine is gone so I'll keep looking ... and get some books so I'll know what I'm looking at when I look


Living the simple life ain't simple
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 200
P
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
P Offline
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 200
Have you benn on the HAMB yet?...they specialize in these types of hot rods...

Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 382
A
'Bolter
'Bolter
A Offline
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 382
packhorse32 is right. They are a good place to look for additional info. Sounds like a cool project!


1948 Chevrolet 1-Ton Grain Truck
In the Stovebolt Gallery SOLD
More pix in Photobucket

"A Man & His Truck--It's a Beautiful Thing!"

"You're never 100% ready, you're just next"....Ty Murray
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
The 327 was first offered in light trucks in mid-late '65 as an option in 3/4 and 1 ton trucks, 1/2 tons didn't get them until '67. On the car side, it was used in virtually all of the car lines, exept for the Corvair, to '69. They were only used in SS model Chevelles in '64/65, after that all SS Chevelles had big blocks. All 327s made from '62-'67 are small journal 2 bolt main blocks, '68-'69 have the large journal block, but still 2 bolts on the mains.
To answer the off topic question-yes the Corvette did have a 427, starting in '66 with the single 4bbl. The 427 was used to '69 in 'Vettes, also used in Impala SS, plus a handfull of special order Biscaynes, Chevelle (COPO 9566), and Camaros (COPO 9560 425hp, 9561 600+ hp aluminum block). There was also 2 'Vettes with the 600+ hp block and 1 Chevelle with the 560 aluminum head L88 engine.


Bill Burmeister
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 187
5
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
5 Offline
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 187
I wouldn't worry too much about the engine codes. The blocks themselves are the same with the exception of chamfered main bearings on 300HP and above motors. Different pistons, heads and camshafts. You can make any 327 into your wanna be motor by adding the right parts. I've got two 327's in my garage right now. One is together and one I need parts for. The blocks are identical, one is a '62 and the other a '63. I also had a '65 block years ago that I put in a '53 Ford F100. They didn't change until 1967 or 1968 when they shared the same block as the 350 and went with a large journal crankshaft.

Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
Large journal 327 was '68. '67 was still small journal, as was the 302 that year.
Alittle bit of sbc trivia-all 350s from '67-'73 are 4 bolt main, as well as the '68-'69 302.


Bill Burmeister

Moderated by  Fibonachu, KCMongo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0