The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
2 members (Hotrod Lincoln, 1955 1 Series), 231 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,113
Posts1,056,279
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1346682 02/16/2020 1:54 AM
Joined: Feb 2003
Posts: 1,377
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Feb 2003
Posts: 1,377
I thought I read that there was a water pump change in 37 and if it did happen did the water pump get longer or shorter,getting the new 235 ready to drop in my 37 and found what I think is a original fan which hits the balancer. There is only 1/4 inch between the fan and radiator with the present engine that has a 49 to 54 fan and I am trying to get a little more distance,found a fan off a 46 to 48 that has notches to clear the balancer but it has thicker blades that might put me back where it is now. Both engines are 55 to 62 235s with 54 water pumps with the adapter.
Attachments
100_9923.JPG (99.98 KB, 221 downloads)
100_9924.JPG (102.91 KB, 225 downloads)
100_9922.JPG (126.77 KB, 220 downloads)
100_9925.JPG (84.9 KB, 212 downloads)

Joined: Jan 2018
Posts: 298
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Jan 2018
Posts: 298
I had my water pump nose and front of pulley machined down. Now have 1/2- 5/8" clearance.


1937 GC
Joined: Feb 2003
Posts: 1,377
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Feb 2003
Posts: 1,377
I just remembered that when I had the radiator rebuilt I had a 4 row core put in so that might be parts of my problem.

Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 1,456
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 1,456
Looks like you need an earlier balancer.


BC
1960 Chevy C10 driver 261 T5 4.10 dana 44 power loc
1949 GMC 250 project in waiting
1960 C60 pasture art
Retired GM dealer tech. 1980 - 2022
Joined: Feb 2003
Posts: 1,377
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Feb 2003
Posts: 1,377
It has a 54 balancer.

Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 5,337
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 5,337
Your problem has me scratching my head.
In your first picture it looks like you are using a 16" passenger style fan. I have never seen one of those hit the balancer. In fact with a 1954 balancer, as you have, and my adapter with a 1953-54 pump the fan should be in the factory position.
There must be more to the story.
What am I missing?


See the USA in your vintage Chevrolet!
My Blog
Joined: Feb 2003
Posts: 1,377
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Feb 2003
Posts: 1,377
Balancer was not all the way in but the fan is now only a hair away from the balancer,going to get a 1/8 spacer made and use the black 16 inch fan. The rusty fan is 18 inches and what would it have came off of originally,I took it off a 46 to 48 car.
Attachments
100_9928.JPG (102.3 KB, 118 downloads)
100_9929.JPG (126.37 KB, 118 downloads)

Joined: Feb 2003
Posts: 1,377
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Feb 2003
Posts: 1,377
Fan will still hit the balancer so going to clean up the 18 inch fan and see how it does.

Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 1,096
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 1,096
That's weird .

Here are a couple of pics of my '54 235 in the '40. I used a new water pump from rock auto , it was 4mm longer than the original (I shortened it to fit), my fan is 18" and clears the balancer by about 3/8" . There is maybe less "set" on the blades than you have. There is no interference at all . It is very close to the radiator. Like you , I have also got more cores in the radiator.
Attachments
DSCF3120.JPG (253.03 KB, 87 downloads)
DSCF3121.JPG (267.48 KB, 88 downloads)
DSCF3131.JPG (280.29 KB, 83 downloads)

Last edited by Dusty; 06/15/2020 6:22 AM.
Joined: Apr 2020
Posts: 87
9
'Bolter
'Bolter
9 Offline
Joined: Apr 2020
Posts: 87
Is it a re-pop pump? Is hub on shaft same as OE? If not move hub out on shaft W/press,remove back cover only need 1/4-5/16 of snout sticking out for fan!


Karl j Townsend
Joined: Apr 2020
Posts: 87
9
'Bolter
'Bolter
9 Offline
Joined: Apr 2020
Posts: 87
Is it a re-pop pump? Is hub on shaft same as OE? If not move hub out on shaft W/press,remove back cover only need 1/4-5/16 of snout sticking out for fan!


Karl j Townsend
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 1,096
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 1,096
Jeff , I re read your post and see you have a '37 .

Just in case there is a minor difference to my '40 , here are a couple of pics of my '37 with the same '54 235 installed. I have taken a better pic (by accident smile ) of the water pump pulley depth .
Attachments
DSCF2288.JPG (264.57 KB, 34 downloads)
DSCF2289.JPG (259.23 KB, 33 downloads)

Joined: Feb 2003
Posts: 1,377
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Feb 2003
Posts: 1,377
It looks like no matter what I do the fan is going to be close to the radiator.

Joined: Feb 2003
Posts: 1,377
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Feb 2003
Posts: 1,377
It is a new pump and do not have a original to compare it to right now.


Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0