Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,108 Posts1,056,568 Members48,448 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Jan 2002 Posts: 2,842 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jan 2002 Posts: 2,842 | It's that time again for me to change out the gearbox's oil. Draining...no problem. But when it comes to pumping new oil from a gallon container into the SM420, I need to first pour the new oil into a smaller bottle that has a pumper on top. I believe that if I attach a pumper to the top of a gallon jug, it will not fit under the truck. Do some just remove the stick shift and pour the oil down into the stick shift hole?
Hope all are being safe.
Craig
Craig My '50 Chevy 3100 5 window, '62-235cu, 3:55 rear My truck ....... Respect The Rust If I'm not working on my truck, '65 m00stang or VW camper, I'm fishing with the wife or smoking Salmon.
| | | | | Joined: Feb 2004 Posts: 29,835 Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer) | | Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer) Joined: Feb 2004 Posts: 29,835 | Remove the fill plug and pour oil into the shifter hole (slowly) until it's level with the bottom of the fill hole. Button everything up and drive! Jerry
"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt! There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
| | | | | Joined: Jul 2000 Posts: 2,196 Insomniac | | Insomniac Joined: Jul 2000 Posts: 2,196 | How often are you changing the oil?
Gord 🇨🇦 ---- 1954 1/2 ton 235 4 speed | | | | | Joined: Jan 2002 Posts: 2,842 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jan 2002 Posts: 2,842 | I normally change the oil every 3+ years based upon the mileage I put on the rig which is a fair amount. Thanks Jerry. I've always wanted to try that method and now since my body is starting to fight me in crawling under the turd as often as I am use to doing,,,,,
Craig My '50 Chevy 3100 5 window, '62-235cu, 3:55 rear My truck ....... Respect The Rust If I'm not working on my truck, '65 m00stang or VW camper, I'm fishing with the wife or smoking Salmon.
| | | | | Joined: May 2001 Posts: 1,904 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: May 2001 Posts: 1,904 | Scooting under my '48 3/4-T (pretty high) and back out are not the problems for me. It's the standing up after I get out. 1948 3/4-Ton 5-Window Flatbed Chevrolet 34 Years. Now with a '61 261, 848 head, Rochester Monojet carb, SM420 4-speed, 4.10 rear, dual reservoir MC, Bendix up front, 235/85R16 tires, 12-volt w/alternator, electric wipers and a modern radio in the glove box.
| | | | | Joined: Feb 2016 Posts: 1,991 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Feb 2016 Posts: 1,991 | I can almost sit upright under my 5700, makes it fun to inspect, repair, grease, nap, etc., I filled my SM420 through the top.
1957 Chevrolet 5700 LCF 283 SM420 2 speed rear, 1955 IH 300U T/A, 1978 Corvette 350 auto, 1978 Yamaha DT175, 1999 Harley Davidson Softail Fat Boy
| | | | | Joined: Jan 2002 Posts: 2,842 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jan 2002 Posts: 2,842 | Thanks for the reply 78. I will go thru the top this time.
Craig My '50 Chevy 3100 5 window, '62-235cu, 3:55 rear My truck ....... Respect The Rust If I'm not working on my truck, '65 m00stang or VW camper, I'm fishing with the wife or smoking Salmon.
| | | | | Joined: Jul 2000 Posts: 2,196 Insomniac | | Insomniac Joined: Jul 2000 Posts: 2,196 | Thanks. Maybe I should change the oil. Not many miles since the last change, but it has been many years.
Gord 🇨🇦 ---- 1954 1/2 ton 235 4 speed | | | | | Joined: Jan 2002 Posts: 2,842 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jan 2002 Posts: 2,842 | Finally changed the oil and OMG! Pouring the new oil into the top is sooooooo much easier instead of via the filler plug. At least for me, it is. Thanks all for the suggestions.
Craig My '50 Chevy 3100 5 window, '62-235cu, 3:55 rear My truck ....... Respect The Rust If I'm not working on my truck, '65 m00stang or VW camper, I'm fishing with the wife or smoking Salmon.
| | |
| |