| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
2 members (Rusted Nut, 1 invisible),
75
guests, and
4
robots. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,100 Posts1,056,513 Members48,448 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Oct 2014 Posts: 56 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Oct 2014 Posts: 56 | Hey all,
Backstory: I was running a set of 255/45r18 on my 52 3100. Fully stock besides the rims. Tires cracked from age (older set when put on and sat for a few years) and Im now replacing. Want to go with a taller tire but keep the width on the back. Current setup seemed undersized a bit to stock, making that old 216 really push the revs at freeway speeds.
Picked up 255/60r18 for rear and 235/60r18 for front. Makes the rears about 30" and the front about 29". Old tires worked great, no rubbing or issues. Now installing the tires fit and look great, except the parking brake cable now is pushing against the tire when applied, and sitting against it when off and no tension. I have lots of room to push it out, and need at least 1.5-2" to give the cable it enough room.
Anyone have experience with hubcentric spacers on the rears? This isnt a hot rod or race car so I have no worries about using a good set. No one local carries them so I have to order them in. Before I pull the trigger though I just wanted to see if there were any experiences with these. I could try and return the tires and go down to a 245 but the 255 just looks good, and I look forward to easing the revs on my poor engine when I am up in the 100km / 60mph range.
Other option would be trying to somehow adjust the cable to exit the drum at a different angle, but that seems like a bigger nightmare. | | | | | Joined: Aug 2001 Posts: 1,300 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Aug 2001 Posts: 1,300 | My truck had 6 to 5 lug wheel adapters on it for years that spaced the wheels out about an inch. My personal experience was that it changed the front end geometry enough that it made it even more prone to road wander than stock spacing. Just something to consider. | | | | | Joined: Jan 2017 Posts: 124 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jan 2017 Posts: 124 | This doesn't address your spacer ?, but as for the cable, over the years I have seen many cars/trucks with some sort of holder braket or tie back to position them out of the way of tires and suspension item. These were mostly OEM items some brackets some actually had springs to keep them some what flexible. If the present tires are working out other wise I think I would try repositioning the cable if possible as trying to space the wheel 2" seems problematic.
38 Chevy 1/2 ton being resto-moded 65 AC Cobra replica USAF vet
| | | | | Joined: May 2015 Posts: 11,104 Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums | | Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums Joined: May 2015 Posts: 11,104 | I second DaveMcK38's suggestion of something to pull the park brake cable out of the way. A simple extension spring hooked around the cable and possibly the leaf spring should do the trick. I don't think it would be a big deal to manhandle the clamps at the backing plate to increase the angle of the cable exit. They're just sheet metal and the cable is flexible so unless you tweak them a lot, everything should work as designed. I also agree that 2" spacers would be a bad idea.
Kevin 1951 Chevy 3100 work truckFollow this saga in Project JournalPhotos 1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car) Busting rust since the mid-60's If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together. | | |
| |
| |