The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (PAUL Berardi, Jon G, JW51), 98 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,131
Posts1,056,373
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1359791 05/11/2020 3:43 PM
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 3,442
Moderator - The Electrical Bay
Moderator - The Electrical Bay
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 3,442
My father gave me his old vise several years ago. It's been sitting in my shed for 3-4 years. I finally pulled it out. It was nearly frozen up, but a few squirts of "loosen juice" freed it up. I'll be tearing it apart, cleaning, and painting it one day soon.
Attachments
IMG_0813.JPG (80.61 KB, 203 downloads)
IMG_0814.JPG (72.51 KB, 202 downloads)


Another quality post.
Real Trucks Rattle
HELP! The Paranoids are after me!
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 231
6
'Bolter
'Bolter
6 Offline
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 231
That is awesome! I have many of my Grandfather's and Dad's tools. It may seem weird, but even they have been gone a long time I can feel their presence when I'm using them on a job. Thanks for posting this .


1963 Chevy C-10 Fleetside
1970 C-30 Dump Truck
2025 Silverado High Country 2500 Diesel
2012 Indian Chief Vintage serial #002 motorcycle
1946 Indian Chief, 1947 Indian Chief w/sidecar,2014 Indian Chieftain, 2015 Indian Scout


Joined: Jul 2018
Posts: 238
P
Rustbucket Ranch
Rustbucket Ranch
P Offline
Joined: Jul 2018
Posts: 238
That's a neat ol' vise! Got a color in mind for it?


1949 Chevy 3100 (In the family since new)
1955.5 Chevy 3100 - in the DITY Gallery - (Dad's truck)
1955 Chevy 6500 - in Big Bolts - (Possible parts truck?)
1958 Chevy 3800 w/9 ft bed - in Project Journals - (Current project)
1959 Chevy Spartan 10400 - in Big Bolts
Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 2,409
J
Former Workshop Owner
Former Workshop Owner
J Offline
Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 2,409
Cool Jeff, what's the brand name?

John


~ J Lucas
2006 GMC Envoy 4.2 I6
2023 Ram 2500/Cumins 6.7 I6
2010 Jeep Grand Cherokee (Wife’s)
2002 Silverado 2500 Gas 6.0
1941 Chevy 1/2-Ton
1942 Chevy 1.5-Ton SWB
In the Gallery
My Flicker Photos!
Joined: Feb 2016
Posts: 1,989
7
'Bolter
'Bolter
7 Offline
Joined: Feb 2016
Posts: 1,989
Using tools from my dad's collection sure brings back great memories of 50+ years ago, brings tears to my eyes. I think of him EVERY day.


1957 Chevrolet 5700 LCF 283 SM420 2 speed rear, 1955 IH 300U T/A, 1978 Corvette 350 auto, 1978 Yamaha DT175, 1999 Harley Davidson Softail Fat Boy
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,811
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,811
I have a tool box that Dad bought when he opened his shop in 1945, along with a lot of tools he used throughout over 70 years in the auto repair and teaching business. Every time I use one of them I'm reminded just how lucky I was to learn from him, and the "oldtimers" he hired who were fixing cars back in the 1920's and 30's!
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 3,442
Moderator - The Electrical Bay
Moderator - The Electrical Bay
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 3,442
I have quite a few of my fathers tools. He is a retired model maker, took maker and wind tunnel tech mostly with Boeing. I always thought that he had nice tools. But what he gave me is mostly very worn out. My step brother got all his new tools. What really puzzles me is that he kept essentially useless tools after buying new ones. At least I know where I get my packrat-ism from.

I'm thinking about painting the vise a special color that my father likes, he calls it "Faded Red Oxide", which is the main color on his 38 Plymouth Coupe that has a ZZ502 under the hood.
Attachments
IMG_1502.JPG (41.32 KB, 146 downloads)

Last edited by Rusty Rod; 05/12/2020 2:58 AM.

Another quality post.
Real Trucks Rattle
HELP! The Paranoids are after me!
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 6,214
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 6,214
Nice old Columbian Vise, that should be a family heirloom...pass it down to your kids!

Mike B smile


Mike Boteler

1956 Chevy 3100 Resto Rod
1952 Willys M38 Army Jeep
1983 Jeep CJ7 Laredo
1984 Jeep CJ7
+++++
Silver Spring, MD
Rusty Rod #1360095 05/13/2020 11:27 AM
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 3,403
T
Crusty Old Sarge
Crusty Old Sarge
T Offline
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 3,403
I lost my father at a young age, he was 43 when he died, I was 18. I have just a few tools of his, a circular saw, a level and a 44oz framing hammer. I have used the hammer a number of times, man that thing is heavy, it still amazes me that he would swing it all day long.


~ Craig
1958 Viking 4400
"The Book of Thor"
Read the story in the DITY
1960 Chevrolet C10
"A Family Heirloom"
Follow the story in the DITY Gallery
'59 Apache 31, 327 V8 (0.030 over), Muncie M20 4 Speed, GM 10 Bolt Rear... long term project (30 years and counting)

If you don't like driving yourTruck, you won't drive yourTruck..| Living life in the SLOW lane
Rusty Rod #1360096 05/13/2020 12:17 PM
Joined: Aug 2001
Posts: 3,600
2
Moderator
Moderator
2 Offline
Joined: Aug 2001
Posts: 3,600
I have a bunch of Dad's tools that I still use.
The best one is a "77" F150 he ordered and bought new.
It's in rough shape now and will be passed on to my nephew as grandpa's truck.

Don
Attachments
DSC05103.JPG (164.5 KB, 117 downloads)
DSC02130.JPG (160.1 KB, 117 downloads)


1967 GMC 9500 Fire Ladder Truck
"The Flag Pole"
In the Stovebolt Gallery
1946 2-Ton grain truck
1946 3/4-ton pickup,
1953 1-ton pickup
1957 1-ton flatbed dually,
1954 Pontiac Straight Eight
Of all the things I've lost in my life, I miss my mind the most!
Joined: Dec 2018
Posts: 2,450
F
'Bolter
'Bolter
F Offline
Joined: Dec 2018
Posts: 2,450
that is what they call a sheet metal vise cause its tall good vise-oil it ! bought a yost 6 inch made in michigan by americans tough vise cost 745$ easily worth it !!! Dads vise bombed after about 50 years 4 of us all got blood blisters from that one ! same way with craftsman grinder all hurt by it ! oh still ok bout a 1951 vintage...bout 70 yrs.

Joined: Jun 2020
Posts: 20
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Jun 2020
Posts: 20
back when metal was metal that vise was made to last. I've got one that looks close to it and seen a lot of newer ones break.


Moderated by  MNSmith 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0