The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
6 members (Otto Skorzeny, klhansen, jmoore, ronsway, tclederman, 1955 1 Series), 147 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,085
Posts1,056,329
Members48,442
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Apr 2020
Posts: 93
6
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
6 Offline
Joined: Apr 2020
Posts: 93
Time to dive into some sanding on truck. I do not have a large compressor, 5 HP, 20 gallon 110 VAC. I do have a lot of electricity and some time. So, do electric sanders work well enough to sand the big parts? Or, is there a DA sander that will run well on a 5 gallon compressor.

I currently have an electric angle grinder. 10,000 RPM. I put a 4 1/2 inch wire wheel on it and it really ripped paint off the frame. Was too powerful for thinner metal... Afraid if I buy a sanding head and paper for this grinder it may take off more than paint. If I go electric would I need a variable speed sander. Please suggest known good equipment that is available. A big compressor is not an option at this time.

Last edited by 60ApacheC20; 04/18/2020 5:41 PM.

1960 C20 Apache Step Side Long Bed
"Swamp Thing" restoration
Story starts in 60-66 trucks
Joined: Jan 2019
Posts: 154
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Jan 2019
Posts: 154
Hey 60Apache20, I like dynabrade, they have several options and a couple different orbit sizes depending on body man or finer for painter finish sand. Recommend checking cfm on compressor and any tool you might purchase.Pat66

Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 4,252
"Hey! I sound like Darth Vader!!
"Hey! I sound like Darth Vader!!
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 4,252
Suburban. Lot's of metal. Most was done with a Dewalt electric DA and 40 or 60 grit hook&loop. That roof, in the early days, got some Encapsulator applied. That took a little more work. Like a scraper, my electric belt sander, and an angle drill with an abrasive disc installed for the gutters.
Attachments
1952suburban305.jpg (59.09 KB, 123 downloads)
1952suburban311.jpg (64.78 KB, 121 downloads)

Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,084
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,084
For paint removal, the poly foam disks work well with a 4-1/2 inch angle grinder. example


Kevin
1951 Chevy 3100 work truck
Follow this saga in Project Journal
Photos
1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car)
Busting rust since the mid-60's
If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.
Joined: Apr 2020
Posts: 93
6
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
6 Offline
Joined: Apr 2020
Posts: 93
MNSmith… can you tell me what model DeWalt DA you use. I see info about 5 inch verses 6 inch. Also about stick on discs verses loop discs. I am hoping to buy only one DA sander and get it right the first time... A guy can dream.... thanks


1960 C20 Apache Step Side Long Bed
"Swamp Thing" restoration
Story starts in 60-66 trucks
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 4,252
"Hey! I sound like Darth Vader!!
"Hey! I sound like Darth Vader!!
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 4,252
I will........tomorrow. I took it to work to use on one of my other projects.

Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 4,252
"Hey! I sound like Darth Vader!!
"Hey! I sound like Darth Vader!!
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 4,252
Sorry for taking so long!! This a hook and loop version.
Attachments

Joined: Apr 2020
Posts: 93
6
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
6 Offline
Joined: Apr 2020
Posts: 93
Thanks for the photos. I will check it out.


1960 C20 Apache Step Side Long Bed
"Swamp Thing" restoration
Story starts in 60-66 trucks

Moderated by  klhansen 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0