The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
6 members (Peggy M, Hotrod Lincoln, Rusty Heaps, TUTS 59, 2 invisible), 73 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,121
Posts1,056,328
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1354387 04/10/2020 1:58 PM
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 39
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 39
Depending on the cost, I might go on a search for stock wheels for my '55 Chevy second series 3/4 ton. I have no idea what to look for other than 8 bolt split rims. Does anyone have pictures? Hopefully measurements? I'm close to a rather large (but expensive) salvage yard with a lot of old stuff!

Joined: Jul 2019
Posts: 559
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Jul 2019
Posts: 559
They look like these. I threw all mine out because i just made modern wheels look older so i could run radials and not deal with tubes. Mine were crusty anyways and its a rivited wheel center that was questionable so i decided to ditch them.
First pic is stock split 16” 8 lug
Second pic is the factory spare with the modern ford 8 lug wheels on truck.
Third pic is the ford wheel with original’49 hubcap cleaned up with CLR and steel wool.

I originally planned on keeping all the stock wheels on the truck but after running the numbers $$$ wise and knowing that i would be driving the truck A LOT and decent long distances. I decided to just go with radials on a newer steel wheel because I knew i could make them blend in and look older with the factory hubcaps. The wheels in the pic are clean but now that they are all covered in dust and road grime they actually just blend right in.
Attachments
0A6A8317-0B8C-4A4E-A054-D7C66FD5E8B6.jpeg (386.81 KB, 261 downloads)
2EE0D423-61B5-4C21-9967-5EB79546AFF1.jpeg (386.14 KB, 261 downloads)
824BA13B-3608-4EFC-A76A-3266E2A1C53A.jpeg (196.91 KB, 250 downloads)

Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 3,441
Moderator - The Electrical Bay
Moderator - The Electrical Bay
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 3,441
Post your needs in the Swapmeet forum, there was a fellow that has/had some rims available. Of course we must be careful when asking about parts in the discussion forums!!

I have a 3/4 suburban (1967 tho) and It had a mixture of wheels on it (8 lug). I bought a set of 2002 aluminum wheels that fit nicely.

The white rim on the rear axle is a 16.5 split rim (72)
The green rim was apparently a spare on my burb 17" "high clearance" rim (fairly expensive if you can find them)
The white rim on the front is a 15" or 16.5" stock type steel rim (unsure of year)
Attachments
IMG_4478.JPG (196.3 KB, 207 downloads)
IMG_4691.JPG (184.92 KB, 207 downloads)
IMG_4359.JPG (370.17 KB, 207 downloads)

Last edited by Rusty Rod; 04/10/2020 4:05 PM.

Another quality post.
Real Trucks Rattle
HELP! The Paranoids are after me!
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 39
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 39
Thanks guys. Did all 3/4 ton have split rims? I would think so, but I'm not always right.

Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
I do not know if the various 1955-2nd (1955) 36XX truck wheels had split rims.

Pages 144 & 145 have 1955-2nd Chevrolet Truck wheel information.

Have you checked the Shop Manual - I will see if I can find it?

Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269

Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 266
S
Custom Title
Custom Title
S Offline
Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 266
FWIW, most of us with 8 lug trucks have switched to modern 16" trailer wheels. They fit perfect and allow you to run modern radial tires. I riveted the hub cap clips to mine so I can use the original caps. I added trim rings and you can't even hardly tell they're not the "correct" wheels


49 Chevy 3600
65 Chevy K10
48 International KB-1 Service Truck
55 Willys CJ5 - Chevy 331 powered
26 Model T Roadster Rat Rod
70 Tucker Sno-Cat 442-A
96 Dodge 3500 Cummins dually flatbed x-cab 4x4
06 Jeep Wrangler LJ rock crawler
If you can't fix it with a hammer, it's an electrical problem
Joined: Sep 2013
Posts: 1,365
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Sep 2013
Posts: 1,365
Southtowns27, did you use spacers under your clips to raise the height for hubcap engagement? I bought a set of clips (Chevy's of the 40s ??) and they were too short.

RonR


RonR


1951 3600 with Clark flatbed, T5, 4.10 rear
1970 340 Duster
1990 5.0 V8 Miata (1990 Mustang Gt Drivetrain)
1964 CJ5

Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0