| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,083 Posts1,056,326 Members48,442 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | |
#13538 12/13/2001 6:00 AM | Joined: Dec 2001 Posts: 12 Junior Member | | Junior Member Joined: Dec 2001 Posts: 12 | Hello all, I have a 1946 Chevy 2Ton and want to put a 350 in it. Has anyone does this? What all is involved? Motor mounts? Clearances? Etc. I like to think that I'm a capable mechanic so I don't mind putting in a little work. All replies are appreciated.
Keep on Trucking
| | |
#13539 12/13/2001 7:11 PM | Joined: Feb 2000 Posts: 587 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Feb 2000 Posts: 587 | Those "universal" cross-over mounts for most vehicles should stillwork on big trucks. Are you wanting to use orig 4spd? If you get the b/house from mid/late 50s V-8's they have mount ears on them to use orig x=over at trans. Otherwise you'll need to find/make a rear crossmember and trans mount so you have a 3pt mount configuration. Two on engine on sides and one in back at trans tail. If you use the orig trans, could keep park brake on it too. Driveshaft same length that way. If you go with auto trans, same deal for mounts, would need to use bigge units out of 3/4 or 1-ton trucks and need the yoke too to build a front drive shaft length. Your radiator may work for the eight as is. Fan shroud may be needed and spacer on fan hub to get it out to rad area as V-8 sets back farther than sixes did. Don't forget a vacumm fitting to the hydro-brake set-up! 
G.L. Grumpy's Old Iron Ranch Huntington, IN 46750
MM R tractor, Speedex and Power King tractors
| | |
#13540 12/13/2001 7:14 PM | Joined: Feb 2000 Posts: 587 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Feb 2000 Posts: 587 | I may be wrong on your truck, now that I see it is a 46 older body style than I was thinking of. Seems the trans then was some diff and non-sychro. You may want to use the later 48 to 66 SM420 trans to do that. You also may not have parking brake on trans, and not sure if they had Hydro-vac brakes back them either, Sorry! :o
G.L. Grumpy's Old Iron Ranch Huntington, IN 46750
MM R tractor, Speedex and Power King tractors
| | |
#13541 12/14/2001 3:38 AM | Joined: Aug 2001 Posts: 3,602 Moderator | | Moderator Joined: Aug 2001 Posts: 3,602 | What's wrong with building it back stock? It's still going to ride and drive like a 48 2-Ton,and thats the fun. DON 1967 GMC 9500 Fire Ladder Truck"The Flag Pole"In the Stovebolt Gallery1946 2-Ton grain truck 1946 3/4-ton pickup, 1953 1-ton pickup 1957 1-ton flatbed dually, 1954 Pontiac Straight Eight Of all the things I've lost in my life, I miss my mind the most! | | |
| |
| |