The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
6 members (JW51, Shaffer's1950, 2-Ton, Gdads51, MRMEROTH11, Southerntruck), 117 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,132
Posts1,056,378
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Apr 2017
Posts: 230
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Apr 2017
Posts: 230
Hi,

I’m looking for the locations to place the cross supports for a wooden bed for a 1940 1/2 ton.
I have purchased a bed mount kit from a vender and tried it using the cross members I have. I place the 2 inch blocks under the first two supports and the 3.5 in ch block under the last support. The blocks do not line up. There is an air gab of about 3/4 inch at the middle block and middle support.
Is there a problem with these kits?
Do they need to be modified?
I can’t seem to find another place for the cross members.

Thanks,

Mike


1940 Chevy 1/2 Ton presently... Almost done
1940 Chevy Business Coupe... In pieces
Joined: Aug 2000
Posts: 1,438
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Aug 2000
Posts: 1,438
Hey Mike, I've got my 2" blocks under the 1st support behind the cab, none on the 2nd, 2" under the 3rd, and the 3.5 at the rear. That leaves 3/4-1" between the 2nd support and the frame.

Dennis


40 Chevy 1/2 ton
Joined: Apr 2017
Posts: 230
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Apr 2017
Posts: 230
Then the second is fastened to the bed with no support from the frame?

Is the last support similar to the first three?

Thanks,

Mike


1940 Chevy 1/2 Ton presently... Almost done
1940 Chevy Business Coupe... In pieces
Joined: Aug 2000
Posts: 1,438
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Aug 2000
Posts: 1,438
Right, the 2nd is just fastened to the bed. There should be a rubber pad about 1/4 " thick between the blocks and bed. I'll take a look in the morning on whether the last is similar. Can't remember.

Dennis


40 Chevy 1/2 ton
Joined: Apr 2017
Posts: 230
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Apr 2017
Posts: 230
Thanks,

If you get a chance, see how far the supports are from each other...

Again,

Thanks,

Mike


1940 Chevy 1/2 Ton presently... Almost done
1940 Chevy Business Coupe... In pieces
Joined: Aug 2000
Posts: 1,438
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Aug 2000
Posts: 1,438
Here are pics of each of the blocks. Did as best as I could from under the truck. Measured from the front bed panel they are 2 1/2", 26 1/2", 53", 73". Hope this helps.

Dennis
Attachments
IMG_1400.jpg (187.88 KB, 155 downloads)
IMG_1397.jpg (266.95 KB, 159 downloads)
IMG_1395.jpg (204.66 KB, 159 downloads)
IMG_1394.jpg (196.43 KB, 152 downloads)


40 Chevy 1/2 ton
Joined: Apr 2017
Posts: 230
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Apr 2017
Posts: 230
Dennis,

I checked it out and now it works. I even found the place on the frame where the floating crossmember sat. Not only that, I discovered that The correct floating member has a bend in it at each end to accommodate the frame.

Thanks,

Mike


1940 Chevy 1/2 Ton presently... Almost done
1940 Chevy Business Coupe... In pieces
Joined: Aug 2000
Posts: 1,438
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Aug 2000
Posts: 1,438
Nice. Here is a pic of what I think you are asking about. If not, let me know. We should probably be doing this under another thread though, if there is more. Glad to hear another '40 coming to life.

Dennis
Attachments
IMG_1405.jpg (176.81 KB, 116 downloads)

Last edited by DennisM; 04/07/2020 10:01 PM.

40 Chevy 1/2 ton
Joined: Apr 2017
Posts: 230
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Apr 2017
Posts: 230
Will do...

Thanks

Mike


1940 Chevy 1/2 Ton presently... Almost done
1940 Chevy Business Coupe... In pieces
Joined: Sep 2018
Posts: 42
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Sep 2018
Posts: 42
I've just ben through this process a few months ago, but have just seen the post. What I am now trying to find out is, what do the stakes look like? Can they be purchased or can I make them? I have a 1940 1/2 ton, recently fitted with a bed that I purchased from Jim Carter. I would now like to fit some timber rails to the sides, but don't know where to look (I'm in Australia).
Hopefully someone can steer me in the right direction. Thanks, Bob

Last edited by Riggles; 05/30/2020 4:16 AM. Reason: Spelling error!
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,074
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,074
There's no standard for stakes. Just measure the size of the pockets and get some wood cut to fit them. A reproduction bed may not have the stops at the bottom of the pockets, but should have a thru hole for a bolt to hold the stakes in place.


Kevin
1951 Chevy 3100 work truck
Follow this saga in Project Journal
Photos
1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car)
Busting rust since the mid-60's
If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.

Moderated by  klhansen 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0