The 465 trans I bought has an A2MHNW2C Chelsea but the U joint ran loose and really damaged the shaft. It has more damage on the other side not shown in the pic. Also this A2 unit was mounted on the right hand side and I need it on the left. It looks like I can mount it on the left side is that correct? I guess I could have the shaft built up and machined down on the end. My old 420 trans has the 450A but I would need a different gear. I need to come up with a good working right hand pto for my 465. Any good sources for parts or if need be a complete unit?
I just found a pic of one and the shaft on it also has that wide groove I guess for a set screw. I guess they were made that way? If I can hook this thing up to the drivers side I might be in good shape.
http://www.chelseaproduct.com/product.aspx You might try this link, looks like you could find parts there or at least find out what your shaft is supposed to look like. I believe all the parts for those pto's are available new, or most of them anyway.
Mac :{)
1962 K10 short step side, much modified for rally 1969 T50 fire truck, almost nos, needs a few things
I suppose they can tell you if your same unit will fit the other side too. There are a million combinations of gears and such for different applications even though they all use the same bolt pattern and look alike.
Mac :{)
1962 K10 short step side, much modified for rally 1969 T50 fire truck, almost nos, needs a few things
If the gear is centered on the PTO opening, you should just be able to mount it upside down. I believe the bolt pattern would allow that, it's just a matter of whether the gears will mesh correctly. I have no direct experience, so just guessing here.
Kevin 1951 Chevy 3100 work truck Follow this saga in Project Journal Photos 1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car) Busting rust since the mid-60's If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.
That is what I was thinking on the mounting. Unless there is a mesh difference somehow. I will do some more research or calling. When looking at the new units there is a designation for right and left mount units.
These are straight cut. The A2 series was on that SM465 trans but mounted on the passenger side. If I can mount it on the drivers side I have what I need. Other than the pto unit being upside down I don't see an issue but I could be overlooking something. I am indeed wanting to be cautious with this installation. I want everything to be right.
you may also be able to swap the shaft so it comes out the other end of your PTO unit, then you can put it on the opposite side and not turn it upside-down.
I sure appreciate all the help. This unit does look like things could be turned around. I will try to get it apart tomorrow and see what I find out. It has a needle bearing in capped off end that I will replace. I'll post an update as soon as I found out what things look like probably tomorrow.
I'm not finding any listing for parts on these. That A2 unit that came with the 465 would have to go upside down. The case is made where the shaft can only go in one direction. The shift fork has an ear broken on it also. I called today and I believe I will be going with a brand new Muncie unit.