The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 90 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,139
Posts1,056,447
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Jan 2020
Posts: 96
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2020
Posts: 96
I'm almost ready to fire off my truck.. Thought I would check cylinder compression before putting spark plugs in.. I found something I wasn't expecting.. All odd cylinders have no compression and the even had about 40psi.i I knew the truck hadn't been run in years so I am not surprised with low compression but all odd having none...

I'm at a loss... I'm sure some or all lifters might be stuck but not sure if that could account for this issue


Colton Kenshol
Hermiston, Oregon

1950 Chevy 3100
216 Motor
Mostly Original..
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,440
Bolter
Bolter
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,440
Do not try to start the engine. If you indeed have stuck valves you could very easily bend a pushrod. Take the valve cover off and tap each valve with a hammer (don’t get heavy handed) to make sure they are all free. A shot or two of penetrating oil will help. Once you are sure all valves are moving do your compression test again. You may get lucky and find all is good to go. Hope they aren’t already bent. Good luck


Martin
'62 Chevy C-10 Stepside Shortbed (Restomod in progress)
'47 Chevy 3100 5 Window (long term project)
‘65 Chevy Biscayne (Emily)
‘39 Dodge Business Coupe (Clarence)
“I fought the law and the law won" now I are a retired one!
Support those brave men/women who stand the "Thin Blue Line"! Hug a cop!
USAF 1965-1969 Weather Observation Tech (I got paid to look at the clouds)

Joined: Jan 2020
Posts: 96
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2020
Posts: 96
Does turning the engine over cause damage also.. Because I did that for the compression test


Colton Kenshol
Hermiston, Oregon

1950 Chevy 3100
216 Motor
Mostly Original..
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 5,096
E
Crusing in the Passing Lane
Crusing in the Passing Lane
E Offline
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 5,096
Yes, best now to oil the valve stems and tap them with a rubber hammer or a 2 x 4. If bent, need to pull the head. Usually the pushrods bend before the rocker arms break.

Ed


'37 GMC T-18 w/ DD 4-53T, RTO-610, 6231 aux., '95 GMC running gear, full disc brakes, power steering, 22.5 wheels and tires.
'47 GMC 1 ton w/ 302, NP-540, 4wd, full width Blazer front axle.
'54 GMC 630 w/ 503 gasser, 5 speed, ex fire truck, shortened WB 4', install 8' bed.
'55 GMC 370 w/270, 420 4 speed, grain, dump bed truck from ND. Works OK.
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 1,611
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 1,611
Well I dont claim to be a sage, but hopefully the information below could be considered sagacious.

Before you start tearing everything apart, first try to roll the pushrods with your fingers. This can be done with only removing the valve cover. You will need to rotate the engine to get them all in a (loose) position off of the cam lobe. Bent pushrods if present will be evident. Oil the valve/valve guide contact areas liberally. Be careful with the hammer on the rocker arms, they are cast iron and crack easily.

Last edited by Paul_WNC; 02/23/2020 1:22 PM.

1941 Chevy 1 1/2-ton WW2 4x4 dump truck
In the Stovebolt Gallery
Lots more pictures
Joined: Jan 2020
Posts: 96
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2020
Posts: 96
Martin,


When you say tap the valves, do you mean tap the rocker arm on the pushrod side?

Last edited by Coltonk; 02/23/2020 4:04 PM.

Colton Kenshol
Hermiston, Oregon

1950 Chevy 3100
216 Motor
Mostly Original..
Joined: Jan 2020
Posts: 96
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2020
Posts: 96
Paul,

Thanks for the information. I will roll the pushrods and see if any are bent. Other than stuck lifters, is there any other reason the compression test shows nothing on all of the odd numbered cylinders?


Colton Kenshol
Hermiston, Oregon

1950 Chevy 3100
216 Motor
Mostly Original..
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,440
Bolter
Bolter
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,440
No, to do it properly and safely you need to remove the rockers. It can be done by striking the rockers but if you do it that way be sure to use some sort of shock insulator between the rocker and the hammer. 2X4 will work. Try Paul’s suggestion first.


Martin
'62 Chevy C-10 Stepside Shortbed (Restomod in progress)
'47 Chevy 3100 5 Window (long term project)
‘65 Chevy Biscayne (Emily)
‘39 Dodge Business Coupe (Clarence)
“I fought the law and the law won" now I are a retired one!
Support those brave men/women who stand the "Thin Blue Line"! Hug a cop!
USAF 1965-1969 Weather Observation Tech (I got paid to look at the clouds)

Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,922
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,922
Anything that rotates the engine is potentially damaging, unless the intake pushrods are completely free.

Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,078
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,078
When the guys are saying tap the valves, they mean on the valve stem to be sure that the valve isn't seized up in the head. You want to tap to insure that each valve will come off it's seat when you eventually turn the engine over.
[on edit] I see you've already turned the engine over for a compression test. You could have valves that are stuck in the open position, which would cause low compression. Tapping on the stem could free them up.

Last edited by klhansen; 02/23/2020 7:31 PM.

Kevin
1951 Chevy 3100 work truck
Follow this saga in Project Journal
Photos
1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car)
Busting rust since the mid-60's
If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.
Joined: Jan 2020
Posts: 96
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2020
Posts: 96
OK... Just a note... I pulled the oil pan to clean it out and pulled the valve cover to find TDC before doing the compression test... Even though it hasn't run in years.. The top end and bottom end still had oil.. I Even pulled a rod bearing cap and the journals still had oil in them


Colton Kenshol
Hermiston, Oregon

1950 Chevy 3100
216 Motor
Mostly Original..
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,282
5
Renaissance Man
Renaissance Man
5 Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,282
I use a plastic dead blow hammer to hit the rocker arm above the valve stem. As I am striking each one, I am watching for rapid rebound of the valve and a soothing clunking sound of a healthy valve contacting a healthy seat. You will need to manually turn the engine over a few turns in order to test all of the valves, as some of them will not be on their seats due to the camshaft.


1952 5-window - return to "as built" condition | 1950 3100 with a 235 and a T-5 transmission
Joined: Jan 2020
Posts: 96
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2020
Posts: 96
Thanks 52carl. I will give that a try


Colton Kenshol
Hermiston, Oregon

1950 Chevy 3100
216 Motor
Mostly Original..

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0