The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
6 members (rfs56trk, Gdads51, Hanks custodian, MikeStone1953, Shaffer's1950, Biermann), 74 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,084
Posts1,056,334
Members48,442
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Jan 2000
Posts: 591
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Jan 2000
Posts: 591
I have a 1957 Chevy 1/2 ton NAPCO tuck. It has a 1965 Chevy 348 "W" engine installed. Not being satisfied
with the torture that install inflicted, I'm installing power steering and an IDIT column. I'm using a CPP steering
box (part of their power steering install kit). My pickup was not an original NAPCO, I installed the NAPCO
components myself.

My question is this: my truck has appears to have large turning radius (I think it turns the same amount in either direction although
I never really tested that). I'm wondering if I have the wrong drag link. Mine measures 17 inches which I think is the normal length.
The Pittman arm is located approximately 30 degrees (downward) to the back of the truck when the steering is centered.
If I had a shorter drag link, the Pittman arm could be mounted in a vertical position. Or is this the way it should be?
Thanks for your help.
don

Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,286
5
Renaissance Man
Renaissance Man
5 Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,286
I have seen one '57 NAPCO. It came from the factory with the riveted on transfer case crossmember. The pitman arm was clocked exactly as you describe that yours in clocked.
I am suggesting that would be correct for a '57 NAPCO.
You can probably expect to lose some turning radius with the power steering upgrade, BTW.


1952 5-window - return to "as built" condition | 1950 3100 with a 235 and a T-5 transmission
Joined: Aug 2003
Posts: 17
T
New Guy
New Guy
T Offline
Joined: Aug 2003
Posts: 17
Don, this is a 1 ton with the CPP kit utilizing the factory column. Drag link is 17” and pitman is slightly to the rear just off 90 deg. This is a 1 ton but I believe my 1/2 tons are the same. I’ll try to get out this weekend and snap pictures. Pat


Attachments


58 1 ton Napco
59 1/2 ton Napco
58 1/2 ton Napco
55 1 ton 9’ bed
58 3/4 ton stepside
55 LCF boom truck
(3) 57 2 tons
Joined: Jan 2000
Posts: 591
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Jan 2000
Posts: 591
FYI:
Thanks for the replies, very helpful. I did order an adjustable drag link, so when it arrives I will give that a try.
However, I probably will only try it in the garage with the front end raised. Right now we are getting a lot of snow
here in Minnesota and I don't take my truck out in the winter unless the roads are fairly clear (odd, I know, since it is a 4WD,
sort of a rhinestone cowboy mentality I guess).
don

Joined: Aug 2003
Posts: 17
T
New Guy
New Guy
T Offline
Joined: Aug 2003
Posts: 17
Is your steering arm straight or curved towards, the front?



58 1 ton Napco
59 1/2 ton Napco
58 1/2 ton Napco
55 1 ton 9’ bed
58 3/4 ton stepside
55 LCF boom truck
(3) 57 2 tons
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 5,096
E
Crusing in the Passing Lane
Crusing in the Passing Lane
E Offline
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 5,096
Donsz, Salt is the real reason, no doubt.

Ed

Last edited by EdPruss; 01/18/2020 2:55 AM.

'37 GMC T-18 w/ DD 4-53T, RTO-610, 6231 aux., '95 GMC running gear, full disc brakes, power steering, 22.5 wheels and tires.
'47 GMC 1 ton w/ 302, NP-540, 4wd, full width Blazer front axle.
'54 GMC 630 w/ 503 gasser, 5 speed, ex fire truck, shortened WB 4', install 8' bed.
'55 GMC 370 w/270, 420 4 speed, grain, dump bed truck from ND. Works OK.

Moderated by  Dusty53, SWEET 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0