The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (BC59, klhansen, mick53, 1955 1 Series), 102 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,113
Posts1,056,277
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Feb 2013
Posts: 111
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: Feb 2013
Posts: 111
Well heck, it looks like I need to replace my throwout bearing. I'm bummed, because it wasn't that long ago that I replaced the whole shebang, but I'm getting a squeal out of it mostly when I'm shifting into gear and then when I begin to engage the clutch. I don't want to wait at all and damage the pressure plate or anything else for that matter. It's easy enough to replace.

Here is what I would like to get some advice on, if possible. Given that the bearing has not been in a long time and also that the possibility exists for there to be contributing issues that lead to what seems like premature failure do you think it would be advisable, or maybe just a reasonably good idea to install a "self aligning" clutch release bearing ? I just read about them. My thought is that in the use of one, perhaps there would be some compensation to allow for maybe some components being not particularly kosher, which includes the "mechanic". ohwell

Thanks,
Tony


1942 Chevrolet 1 1/2-ton (G-506 Military) Panel
In the Stovebolt Gallery
Short video
Longer video


Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 2,098
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 2,098
Start with the fact that most parts are made offshore and many simply don't meet the quality standards of old.
Also check the bearing retainer on the transmission. If it is excessively worn or under-size the bearing may not slide properly.
Another wear area is the release arm. Some wear on the fork could be an issue.
I don't have any knowledge of a specific product known as a "self aligning" release bearing. I believe if all the components are within the wear standards, all bearing would be "self aligning".
Fred


1956 3100 Pickup/Red/350/3sp OD/PS/Disc Brakes
1957 Bel Air Sport Coupe/Red/355/TH350/PS/Disc Brakes
2017 Silverado LT Single Cab SB/Black/5.3/6 Speed Trans
1947 Willys CJ2A w/F-Head engine
Joined: Feb 2013
Posts: 111
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: Feb 2013
Posts: 111
Hey Fred. Thanks for the response. I've considered the possibility of there being a lack of quality on the installed bearing. I just didn't want to go there. Ha ! Either way it needs replacing.
I went to the Rock Auto site just for kicks and found numerous options for the bearings, some being the so called "self aligning". I wasn't aware of the type. I then did a search on the subject and here is one of the pages I checked out https://static.summitracing.com/global/images/instructions/skf-xls5-1-8a_yh.pdf. My thought was is that it wouldn't hurt to try, presuming all of the measurements are within tolerance to what I have now. It's been a sweet working clutch. Easily actuated, super smooth 11 incher.
I'll take a look at the parts you mentioned though when I get the tranny out.

Tony


1942 Chevrolet 1 1/2-ton (G-506 Military) Panel
In the Stovebolt Gallery
Short video
Longer video


Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,805
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,805
While you've got the bearing out, carefully push the bearing assembly off the carrier and check out how much grease the manufacturer put into it. The offshore-made bearings are notorious for being assembled virtually dry, with just a tiny amount of lube. The bearing balls are usually visible once the bearing is pressed off the carrier that slides on the transmission front bearing retainer snout. A squirt of a high temperature lubricant like Lubriplate white grease has cured many an ill where noisy throwout bearings are concerned.
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Feb 2013
Posts: 111
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: Feb 2013
Posts: 111
Good to know, Jerry. I've always been leery of how well "sealed" bearings are lubed.


1942 Chevrolet 1 1/2-ton (G-506 Military) Panel
In the Stovebolt Gallery
Short video
Longer video


Joined: Dec 2017
Posts: 1,652
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Dec 2017
Posts: 1,652
I had the same issue a couple of years ago. Finally went to eBay and found a nice vintage made in USA nos green company throw out bearing. Not a moments trouble since.


Mike

Moderated by  Dusty53, SWEET 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0