| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,108 Posts1,056,238 Members48,437 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Feb 2019 Posts: 18 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Feb 2019 Posts: 18 | I recently bought a 65 pickup. Fair bit of work done to it but needs some attention still. One thing being gaps on front sheet metal. I see that the inner fender, fender mount is shimmed off the firewall both sides on the top only. Upon further inspection i see that the rad support mounts are only 1/4 inch thick pieces of rubber. I am thinking that is the reason the shims were used to get things bolted up. However with that other things are outs wack. Questions are: has anyone seen or shimmed the panels ( the one that the inner fender and fender mount to) away from firewall? Can anyone tell me what stock rad support mount thickness is? I have new mounts on way to make it right. The rest of truck mounts are new and correct as near as i can tell. Thanks for any input | | | | | Joined: May 2007 Posts: 1,718 Moderator: 60-66 Trucks; North Eastern Bolters | | Moderator: 60-66 Trucks; North Eastern Bolters Joined: May 2007 Posts: 1,718 | I have done this on 2 trucks. I dont recall inner fender shims - attached direct to firewall. I dont recall shims between the inner and outer fenders at the top. Could be done, but none of the assembly manuals and lit I have reviewed has mentioned the shims you describe. I dont have the dimension of the mounting hardware handy. I longest vertical gap considered is the fender/door gap. I suppose that gap can be adjusted via extra/fewer washers at the rad support easy enough. There is also play in the cab-side bracket that the lower inner fender bolts to. Let us know what you find once the new mounting hardware arrives - It should include the diagram for sequence. | | |
| |
| |