Unless I'm blind (likely), searches for latch to panel screws for a '54 have come up empty. Picture attached. Anyone have luck sourcing these? Mine were cemented in and I'll need to replace a few.
Right you are - it's been a long, cold day. Post updated accordingly. New panels seem to ship with them and I was trying to avoid the hardware hunting game.
The main point is the source. It's pretty easy to measure threads and length. Hardware stores have thread test gauges for you to use. You will get good at eyeballing since there are only a few sizes used back then.
Right is right, even if everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it. - William Penn
Were you able to break loose those cemented screws? Yes, unless you are going very original, you will have plenty of choices at your local hardware store.
Craig
My '50 Chevy 3100 5 window, '62-235cu, 3:55 rear My truck ....... Respect The Rust If I'm not working on my truck, '65 m00stang or VW camper, I'm fishing with the wife or smoking Salmon.
Thanks @bart + all for the pointers. My other hobby is Alfas, so making a quick trip to Napa/Ace and actually being able to find parts is something of a novelty (and a welcome one at that).
The slotted head screw was thrown out by industry long ago because you can't keep a power driver centered.....as everybody knows. Automation was the nail in the slotted screw's coffin. So Phillips and Clutch head came out....then many others followed.
The Phillips head was not invented by Mr. Phillips.
The Government MS calls them "cross recessed" to avoid using brand names.
They are period correct being used on Cadillac is the 30's.
Right is right, even if everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it. - William Penn
No idea what they were originally. To bring this full circle, I coaxed the old slotted jerks out with some heat and swapped for socket caps in black oxide (Hillman). We'll see how they hold up.
52Carl you are right, or at least mine on my ‘52 are clutch head.
Last edited by Phak1; 12/01/201912:29 AM.
Phil Moderator, The Engine Shop, Interiors and Project Journals
1952 Chevrolet 3100, Three on the Tree, 4:11 torque tube Updated to: ‘59 235 w/hydraulic lifters, 12v w/alternator, HEI, PCV and Power front Disc Brakes Project Journals Stovebolt Gallery Forum
Just cheap rattle can Ace Premium Satin Black that I got from Ace Hardware. It’s the best spray paint that I have ever used. Sprays a pattern like a spray gun, only needs two coats and drys really quick.
Last edited by Phak1; 12/01/20192:12 AM.
Phil Moderator, The Engine Shop, Interiors and Project Journals
1952 Chevrolet 3100, Three on the Tree, 4:11 torque tube Updated to: ‘59 235 w/hydraulic lifters, 12v w/alternator, HEI, PCV and Power front Disc Brakes Project Journals Stovebolt Gallery Forum
Both of my 1951 Chevrolets have clutch head screws , but I don't know about the 1954 models.
A little anti-seize on the new threads will help you with future repairs. permatex Anti-Seize
Tim
1951 3100 Chevrolet 1951 Chevrolet Suburban Carryall Image "A house is built with boards and beams. A home is built with love and dreams." "Look deep before you leap !!!" / "Everything is Everything" "If I say a mouse can pull a house, hitch him up"
The Phillips head was not invented by Mr. Phillips.
Correct. From Wikipedia: The credited inventor of the Phillips screw was John P. Thompson who, in 1932, patented (#1,908,080) a recessed cruciform screw and in 1933, a screwdriver for it.
But Henry F. Phillips who started the Phillips Screw Co in 1934, is who it's named after.
But the grease fitting (aka Zerk fitting) was invented by Otto Zerk.
Thus concludes today's trivia lesson.
The hood latch screws on my '51 were clutch head.
Kevin 1951 Chevy 3100 work truck Follow this saga in Project Journal Photos 1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car) Busting rust since the mid-60's If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.
Interesting read, Tim. I can't help but wonder if the original Type A driver (no longer available) works better than the drivers which we have available today. I am guessing that for installing a new clutch head screw into a new car or truck on the assembly line, they would be the cat's pajamas.
Last edited by 52Carl; 12/08/20192:06 AM.
1952 5-window - return to "as built" condition | 1950 3100 with a 235 and a T-5 transmission
My '50 Chevy 3100 5 window, '62-235cu, 3:55 rear My truck ....... Respect The Rust If I'm not working on my truck, '65 m00stang or VW camper, I'm fishing with the wife or smoking Salmon.