The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 191 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,089
Posts1,056,141
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1329959 10/15/2019 1:19 AM
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,644
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,644
Last weekend my ‘50 left me stranded for the first time. It has been running just fine for many miles, but started running rough and was difficult to keep running at a red light. Pulled over at a C-store and turned it off. I went inside for a soda, then came back out and tried to start it. No go! Raised the hood and gas was pouring from the bottom of the carb. Suspected a stuck float so tapped on the bowl several times but it still poured gas when I cranked it. Ended up having it towed home on the back of a rollback.

Today I took the carb off and poured out the remaining gasoline, then took the two halves apart. Inside the bowl was about 3-4 tablespoons of a clear-milky fluid that didn’t feel like gasoline and didn’t smell like it either. Gasoline has a strong scent and this fluid did not. I decided it must be a water like remnant of the ethanol in the gas. Nasty stuff that shouldn’t be in a man’s carburetor! I poured it out and let it all dry out, then snapped this pic of the top half showing lots of white crud. I’m going to put a new kit in it, and have decided to buy only *real* gasoline from now on. It’s for sale locally now for about 50 cents more per gallon, but worth it in my opinion.
Attachments
C6CB1DB6-AB8C-4CF4-A055-93CBE948F59D.jpeg (256.27 KB, 278 downloads)


Chuck
1950 Chevy 1/2 ton (all original)
1951 Chevy 1/2 ton (future streetrod)
1941 Chevy coupe
1938 Chevy coupe streetrod
Joined: Feb 2019
Posts: 4,480
AD Addict & Tinkerer
AD Addict & Tinkerer
Joined: Feb 2019
Posts: 4,480
I discovered the issues running ethanol in anything that has the potential to sit for awhile several years ago. It seemed anytime I had to do something that requires starting gas powered lawn and garden equipment it wouldn’t start or just run terrible, requiring cleaning that gunk out of the carburetors. Sometimes three or four a year. After doing this for a few years I discovered a few local gas stations sold non-ethanol gas. Like you said it cost a bit more but I no longer have to disassemble all of those carburetors. In addition, I also mix a gas treatment in to keep the gas from going bad. Now I carburetor cleaning days are few.

Last edited by Phak1; 10/15/2019 11:56 AM.

Phil
Moderator, The Engine Shop, Interiors and Project Journals

1952 Chevrolet 3100, Three on the Tree, 4:11 torque tube
Updated to: ‘59 235 w/hydraulic lifters, 12v w/alternator, HEI, PCV and Power front Disc Brakes
Project Journals
Stovebolt Gallery Forum
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,644
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,644
Forgive my ignorance....... looking at my photo, does the tall brass pointed “stem” thing come out of the hole during a carb rebuild or is it permanent? It won’t come out using my fingers and I didn’t want to pull on it with pliers and damage it.


Chuck
1950 Chevy 1/2 ton (all original)
1951 Chevy 1/2 ton (future streetrod)
1941 Chevy coupe
1938 Chevy coupe streetrod
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
W
Riding in the Passing Lane
Riding in the Passing Lane
W Offline
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
The larger "stem" should come out. Put some carb cleaner on it & work it out carefully with pliers. It has a spring under it & needs to be cleaned up so it will slide in & out. The end will go into the jet holder & knock the little ball off its seat. The small brass tube stays in the air horn.
George


They say money can't buy happiness. It can buy old Chevy trucks though. Same thing.
1972 Chevy c10 Cheyenne Super
In the Gallery Forum
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,644
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,644
Thanks, I got the stem out and everything is soaking in Chem-Dip.


Chuck
1950 Chevy 1/2 ton (all original)
1951 Chevy 1/2 ton (future streetrod)
1941 Chevy coupe
1938 Chevy coupe streetrod
Joined: Jan 2000
Posts: 591
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Jan 2000
Posts: 591

Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 481
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 481
Chuck,

Just recently had the opportunity to drive my frame-off restored '58 Apache as part of the break-in. I run nothing but 93 octane with a lead additive. None of that junk ethanol gas for my new toy!

Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,644
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,644
There is a new gas station being built not far from me that will sell “real” 100% gasoline without ethanol. It’s about 50 cents/gal more expensive but I’ve decided it’s worth it. I usually drive my truck only on the weekend, so the gas stays in the tank a while and deteriorates. The “real” gas will hold up much longer. I guess I could do like you and add a lead additive. Where do you get it?


Chuck
1950 Chevy 1/2 ton (all original)
1951 Chevy 1/2 ton (future streetrod)
1941 Chevy coupe
1938 Chevy coupe streetrod
Joined: Apr 2012
Posts: 158
0
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
0 Offline
Joined: Apr 2012
Posts: 158
In my neck of the woods.....upstate NY,... Stewarts sells non ethanol premium...$3.33 per gallon...and very pleased to pay it....even though my 250 & 292 are thirsty guys, and don't have the compression required for premium.... I don't use them that often, and they both hibernate during the winter months.....The non ethanol gas is regulated by county....where you can get it in one county, but not another...My fear is that someday non ethanol won't be available at all....In addition to the non ethanol, I spike every tank full with Startron....


Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0