The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
2 members (Rusted Nut, 1 invisible), 75 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,100
Posts1,056,513
Members48,448
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1330896 10/23/2019 4:54 PM
Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 250
G
'Bolter
'Bolter
G Offline
Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 250
I changed out the rear spring stack/axle u-bolts on my new to me truck as the originals were severely corroded. I am not sure how much to torque the nuts to though. It seems like I can keep tightening them and while it takes a bit of force, it doesn't seem to get any harder as though something is stretching. Is there a torque spec for these? Or do I just make them good and tight? Thanks for the comments!


1950 3600
1951 4400
Gazz
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 5,096
E
Crusing in the Passing Lane
Crusing in the Passing Lane
E Offline
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 5,096
Torque values are based on bolt diameters, shackle bolts often have to be taken up until really tight because of slack.

Ed


'37 GMC T-18 w/ DD 4-53T, RTO-610, 6231 aux., '95 GMC running gear, full disc brakes, power steering, 22.5 wheels and tires.
'47 GMC 1 ton w/ 302, NP-540, 4wd, full width Blazer front axle.
'54 GMC 630 w/ 503 gasser, 5 speed, ex fire truck, shortened WB 4', install 8' bed.
'55 GMC 370 w/270, 420 4 speed, grain, dump bed truck from ND. Works OK.
Joined: Sep 2012
Posts: 57
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Sep 2012
Posts: 57
You should be able to get the torque spec from the mfg of your u bolts. I use an impact and run them down until it can’t turn anymore. But I am doing this on semi trailer u bolts. Also u bolts are supposed to stretch as they are tightened that’s why u aren’t supposed to reuse them. I say if you can still turn them keep on going they will not break.


Dan
Joined: Jul 2000
Posts: 2,196
Insomniac
Insomniac
Joined: Jul 2000
Posts: 2,196
Torque specs are in the shop manual. My manual is for 1954, but I expect 1951 was the same. For a 4400 (1.5 ton), the spec is 210 to 235 ft-lbs!


Gord 🇨🇦
----
1954 1/2 ton 235 4 speed
Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 250
G
'Bolter
'Bolter
G Offline
Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 250
Weird, I know I wrote a reply to this a day or two ago but it is not here!
In any case, I did find specs in the manual which I believe were 70/90ft/lbs. Then my mechanic friend said he was taught to tighten them until they ring nicely when struck with a hammer or something. He learned this from a place that specialized in automotive / truck spring replacement.


1950 3600
1951 4400
Gazz

Moderated by  69Cuda, Super55 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0