The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 97 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,128
Posts1,056,358
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Jan 2017
Posts: 62
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: Jan 2017
Posts: 62
Hello, I'm looking for some install tips for the camshaft gear on a 261. The first time it didn't go so well. Heated the gear up to around 250 F, tried to slide it on but was too tight still. Pressed it the rest of the way and damaged the aluminum hub on the gear. camshaft and gear were free of debris and burrs. I bought a new gear and am going to try it again. Anyone have any tips? Would I be able to get away with heating it to 300 or 350 F? If it were steel I'd have no problem with it, just new to working with aluminum.

Thanks

Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,811
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Online: Content
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,811
350 degrees won't hurt the gear. You might also try putting the cam in the freezer for a while, or soaking the drive end in a bath of dry ice and alcohol. That gets the temperature of the cam down to 50 below zero or so. The hot gear should practically drop on after that, or seat itself with a couple of smacks with a big dead blow mallet. Don't forget to sandwich the thrust plate between the gear and the cam- - - -I've done that occasionally, or forgot to put a nut on a piece of tubing before making a nice-looking flare and having to cut it off and try again!
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 892
1
'Bolter
'Bolter
1 Offline
Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 892
Also don't forget to put a feeler blade of the proper dimension between the gear and the thrust plate to get the proper end play. I remember 0.010" but you better check.


1951 3800 1-ton
"Earning its keep from the get-go"
In the DITY Gallery
1962 261 (w/cam, Fenton headers, 2 carbs, MSD ign.), SM420 & Brown-Lipe 6231A 3spd aux. trans, stock axles & brakes. Owned since 1971.
Joined: Oct 2016
Posts: 11
T
New Guy
New Guy
T Offline
Joined: Oct 2016
Posts: 11
Just did this a few days ago. I pressed the old gear off the cam, bored a hole in a piece of 1/4" plate and slotted it so it was "U" shaped. I slid this onto the cam right between the first lobe and front bearing journal. Sat the plate back in the press and hung the cam from it. I put two .003 shims (manual says .001 to .005 clearance) between the journal and the thrust plate and heated the aluminum gear in a toaster oven set at 250 F. Popped the heated gear on the crank, placed a short piece of pipe on the gear hub (but larger than the cam snout), and pressed the gear on. I had to fiddle with it a bit as it pinched the shims and I couldn't get them out; a bit of wiggling and pressing the gear back a bit got it done. I think you're gonna need a press to do it with any finesse at all and guarantee the correct clearance for the thrust plate.

Joined: Jan 2017
Posts: 62
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: Jan 2017
Posts: 62
Originally Posted by 1Ton_tommy
Also don't forget to put a feeler blade of the proper dimension between the gear and the thrust plate to get the proper end play. I remember 0.010" but you better check.

Good to know, I thought it was just supposed to press up tight against the thicker inner ring and that gave the proper clearance between the thrust plate and cam gear.

Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,811
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Online: Content
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,811
The 235 timing gear has a shoulder that sets the end play correctly without any extra spacing being done. When we assembled John's 261 with a new timing gear set about a year ago, I checked that dimension with a depth micrometer, so I'm not just guessing. The 194/230/250 engines require that feeler gauge procedure, I believe. Also, although the cam thrust plate for the 250 looks like one for a 235/261, it's a different thickness. Don't try to swap those parts.
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0