The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (klhansen, BC59, homer52), 123 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,113
Posts1,056,618
Members48,450
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1325941 09/12/2019 10:00 PM
Joined: Sep 2014
Posts: 30
L
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
L Offline
Joined: Sep 2014
Posts: 30
I am rebuilding my '56 261 engine and I need to replace the four bolts holding the main bearing cap at the flywheel end. Does anyone know where I could get the bolts? Searching this forum I have found conflicting info (grade 5 vs. 8, studs vs. bolts). I am looking for some good advice on where to get some replacements.


1955 Chevy 6400 2-Ton
LewyBoys' Garage
Joined: Feb 2017
Posts: 83
D
Vintage Truck & Tractor
Vintage Truck & Tractor
D Offline
Joined: Feb 2017
Posts: 83
If that bearing cap has the locating dowel hat placed it in the correct place. I would not be afraid to use off the shelf grade 8 bolts.


Current project; 1961 C20, 235 I6
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,836
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,836
Put an ad in the "parts wanted" section of the forum. If someone has a 235 block they're about to scrap out, the main bearing bolts are the same as the 261. I believe main bearing bolts for a 216 will work, also. Occasionally, I see main bearing caps and/or bolts on Ebay, so check there, also.
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Sep 2014
Posts: 30
L
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
L Offline
Joined: Sep 2014
Posts: 30
My bearing cap does have the locating dowels in it. So now the controversial question...

Grade 8 or 5 bolts? The original bolts have the three marks which indicate it is a grade 5.

If that bearing cap has the locating dowel hat placed it in the correct place. I would not be afraid to use off the shelf grade 8 bolts.


1955 Chevy 6400 2-Ton
LewyBoys' Garage
Joined: Feb 2017
Posts: 83
D
Vintage Truck & Tractor
Vintage Truck & Tractor
D Offline
Joined: Feb 2017
Posts: 83
I wouldn't argue that grade 5 is wrong. I just happen to have recently used grade 8 on the same main cap, same engine, about 5 weeks ago. I make darn sure I run a thread chase, not a tap, down those holes and clean them out real good. Furthermore, chase the threads on all them bolts and look em.over real good is probably more important than an argument about grade 5 versus 8


Current project; 1961 C20, 235 I6
Joined: Sep 2014
Posts: 30
L
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
L Offline
Joined: Sep 2014
Posts: 30
Thanks for the responses.


1955 Chevy 6400 2-Ton
LewyBoys' Garage

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0