The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
5 members (Charles in CA, mick53, Gray_Ghost, BC59, klhansen), 168 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,113
Posts1,056,277
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 249
G
'Bolter
'Bolter
G Offline
Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 249
Had an odd problem with my 1950 3600 the other day. I noticed that the brake pedal engaged at the very top somewhat unexpectedly - very much what the pedal would feel like if the parking brake was engaged. When I got home, I smelled a hot brake which was the right rear and I checked the parking brake and found it had no spring return to it. Ah ha I thought, a busted parking brake spring! Crawling under the truck, I found the springs to be good. Then I pulled the drum and found that the leading piston of the wheel cylinder had moved far out enough so that the inside edge of the end cap/adjuster on the cylinder was caught by the leaf spring and just a drop or two of brake fluid had collected at the bottom of the adjuster. I lifted the spring with a screwdriver and the adjuster popped back into to place. To me, it seemed that the piston on the leading side was out about twice as far as the trailing piston so I evened them up somewhat and then adjusted until the drum would not go on and then backed them off a bit so I could replace the drum. It makes me wonder if my drum is worn past a usable condition. I have no idea how thick the drum should be but my guess is that it feels thick enough. There must be a spec for wall thickness somewhere.
What do folks think about this?

Last edited by Gazz; 09/11/2019 5:42 PM.

1950 3600
1951 4400
Gazz
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,805
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,805
The general rule of thumb for drum oversize is a maximum diameter of .060" oversize passenger car drums, or .090" over for pickups. It wouldn't surprise me if your 70-something year old drums are somewhat bigger than that.
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,280
5
Renaissance Man
Renaissance Man
5 Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,280
Double check to make sure that you have all of the shoe retaining springs in place.


1952 5-window - return to "as built" condition | 1950 3100 with a 235 and a T-5 transmission
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
W
Riding in the Passing Lane
Riding in the Passing Lane
W Offline
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597

You probably didn't have the adjustment right on that shoe. The Huck brakes are tricky to adjust. They are all right hand threads. Adjust each one till you get a heavy drag. Then back it off about 5 notches.
George


They say money can't buy happiness. It can buy old Chevy trucks though. Same thing.
1972 Chevy c10 Cheyenne Super
In the Gallery Forum
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,280
5
Renaissance Man
Renaissance Man
5 Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,280
I now recall having that happen to me on my '49. The adjuster cap was all jacked up. I removed the wheel cylinder and found that one of the ears where one of the wheel cylinder bolt goes through broke off.


1952 5-window - return to "as built" condition | 1950 3100 with a 235 and a T-5 transmission
Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 249
G
'Bolter
'Bolter
G Offline
Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 249
Thanks for the suggestions! I'll get a chance to look at in the next few days I hope. I brought a distraction home today though;-)


1950 3600
1951 4400
Gazz

Moderated by  Dusty53, SWEET 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0