Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
1 members (Rusty Heaps),
112
guests, and
3
robots. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,129 Posts1,056,695 Members48,452 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Aug 2000 Posts: 2 Member | | Member Joined: Aug 2000 Posts: 2 | I might be over my head, but it seems fairly straight forward. I can get a pair of axles from a K10 or K20, have them narrowed to match the factory axle widths (guy dows it local here for about $150 per axle, includes ring and pinion installation, too) , drop in a 350/TH400 with transfer case, then have custom front and rear driveshafts made. Of course, I'll have to have custom leaf springs made, but I think I could hang them in the existing locations. Any comments, or is anyone experienced in this area? Let me know if I'm off my rocker again.
John
I'm not lazy, I'm just pacing myself.
| | | | | Joined: Apr 2002 Posts: 7 Junior Member | | Junior Member Joined: Apr 2002 Posts: 7 | what year are you swapping to? | | | | | Joined: Aug 2000 Posts: 2 Member | | Member Joined: Aug 2000 Posts: 2 | Sorry, it's a '53 3100.
John
I'm not lazy, I'm just pacing myself.
| | | | | Joined: Apr 2000 Posts: 81 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Apr 2000 Posts: 81 | Most anything is possible, given enough money and/or time. Save yourself some money and go with an unmarried transfer case and t-350.
If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer.
1941 Pontiac business coupe 1947 Chev Coupe 1969 GTO ragtop
| | | | | Joined: Jan 2002 Posts: 866 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jan 2002 Posts: 866 | I have a 53 chevy 3100 on a 64 wagoneer frame. Dana 44 axles 3.73 front and back. Manual lock out hubs. A great 4 wheel drive truck, ride height is about a normal 53 height. | | | | | Joined: Feb 2001 Posts: 1,897 Member | | Member Joined: Feb 2001 Posts: 1,897 | coach ,, do you have any details with pics on your ride?
There is enough good in the worst of us and enough bad in the best of us that it does not behoove any of us to criticize the rest of us. - - Be yourself. If you are ever lost, It will be much easier to find yourself if you know who you are!
| | | | | Joined: Jan 2002 Posts: 866 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jan 2002 Posts: 866 | Mechainiac' Try this , I am trying to set up a web page, don't know if this works or not? http://home.attbi.com/~sworfktn/wsb/index.html | | | | | Joined: Feb 2001 Posts: 1,897 Member | | Member Joined: Feb 2001 Posts: 1,897 | That is awesome It looks like the rear wheel is centered really well in the wheel-well.I bet thos seats are really comfortable too
There is enough good in the worst of us and enough bad in the best of us that it does not behoove any of us to criticize the rest of us. - - Be yourself. If you are ever lost, It will be much easier to find yourself if you know who you are!
| | | | | Joined: Jan 2002 Posts: 866 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jan 2002 Posts: 866 | Thanks! Mechainiac, My son is in the process of taking photos of the upgrades we have done. We also have a new front end from a 72 wagoneer with disc brakes to install. Never enough time or money and my son leaves for college in 2 weeks. | | | | | Joined: Apr 2001 Posts: 23 Member | | Member Joined: Apr 2001 Posts: 23 | Thats the best looking 4x4 conversion I have seen, CoachFrank! Does it look as if there was a lot involved in the body swap? Now, I'm real interested in how hard it was, cause I know right where there is a wagoneer of that vintage, and up here in Montana, 4WD means I could drive my panel all winter, too! | | | | | Joined: Jan 2002 Posts: 866 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jan 2002 Posts: 866 | Thanks Andy, We bought it just for the reason you are impressed with it. Don't have photos, but will try to explain as best I can. The frame under the bed has 4 angled mounting points... like an L on it's side to level out a mounting point,also 4 squareboxes at the corners to mount the bed to frame.All the above have been welded on to the frame All 8 are secured with carriage bolts. The running boards also have 4 L brackets welded on. The cab used the original mounting points per chevy frame. The front and rear are original 64 wagoneer dana 27 and dana 44's. Be careful here I think after 1972 the wagoneers got wider. I purchased a 72 wagoneer front end dana 44 with power steering and disc brakes to swap in. Uses 79 **** f150 rotors 5x5.5 bolt pattern to match the rear dana axle bolt pattern. The drive train is a 72 jeep pickup 360amc, th400 tranny. To change to a chevy engine I need a chevy th400 case and swap the tranny guts. Got this bit of info from Advanced Adapters. The amc bolt pattern on the th400 will not match up with a chevy engine unless this is done. Right now the 360 is running great but would like to switch to a chevy engine because of parts availibility. I guess it is time to take some new photos of the pickup and some of what I tried to explain. Will get my son on it pronto. Have any more questions e-mail me and I will give you a phone number to call me. | | | | | Joined: Jan 2002 Posts: 398 Member | | Member Joined: Jan 2002 Posts: 398 | That's a gorgeous rig, Coach. Looks just like I picture an updated stocker would look-in my mind, I heard "4x4" and I thought "skyscraper". None of that stuff though. She's a beaut. Hope you fellas enjoy it. Wannabe P.S. any pics you could post of the underside I'm sure would be appreciated. Lots of guys here show interest in the frame swap idea.
"Don't expect anything and you'll never be disappointed"
| | | | | Joined: Jan 2002 Posts: 866 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jan 2002 Posts: 866 | Posted new photos on my web page, some of the frame attachment, some of the frame were to dark,will try to retake some frame shots.
http://home.attbi.com/~sworfktn/wsb/index.html | | |
| |