The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (wilbur53, 2 invisible), 71 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,109
Posts1,056,572
Members48,448
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1316831 07/07/2019 2:31 AM
Joined: May 2016
Posts: 56
C
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
C Offline
Joined: May 2016
Posts: 56
working on the brakes on recently bought 1949 chevy 2 ton. Filled reservoir last fall , no brakes . This summer reservoir still full
won't even pump up. What do I do? would like to update master cylinder / hydrovac if possible . Help needed. I assume I start at replacing the
master cylinder ?

Last edited by Charles Pretzer; 07/07/2019 2:33 AM.

I just finished a 1946 chevy pickup street rod
now on a 1950 chevy 3100
.
also a GMC 220 with duals
and a 1948 chevy 2 ton
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 6,100
3
3B Offline
'Bolter
'Bolter
3 Offline
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 6,100
Hy Charles Pretzer, I think you should try bleeding the brakes. Do you have a manual for your truck? If you don't have a manual I'm sure one of the helpful gentleman confusilator gurus on here will provide a link to one. While bleeding keep checking for leaks in the metal tubing and rubber flex lines. On a truck of this age I would do a complete brake system overhaul just to make sure everything is working as it should and you and others on the road around you are safe.

Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,270
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,270

3B #1317005 07/08/2019 7:17 PM
Joined: Jan 2019
Posts: 76
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: Jan 2019
Posts: 76
Originally Posted by 3B
Hy Charles Pretzer, I think you should try bleeding the brakes.

if there is no brake pressure and you've already pumped the pedal down to the max, good chance you "broke" the master brake cylinder. most old systems brake cups are very sensitive.. so an MBC overhaul is very likely.

Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,270
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,270
Charles, go through the bleeding and adjusting procedure as described in the Shop Manual.

If that gets you no pedal, then you will have determine what part/parts are bad:

brake lines
wheel cylinders
master cylinder
hydrovac

Joined: Dec 2015
Posts: 2,063
Big Bolt Forum Moderator
Big Bolt Forum Moderator
Joined: Dec 2015
Posts: 2,063
I agree, it sounds like you have air in the system. If you are taking it out on the road, and don't know when the last time stuff was rebuilt or replaced, I would start with a master cylinder rebuild, new steel and rubber brake lines and pull all wheel cylinders apart and at a bare minimum, put kits in them. All that listed above should be able to be done for about 100$. If you need actual wheel cylinders, then price will go up.

As others have instructed, follow the bleeding instructions in the manual.


Mike
1955 Chevy 6400 ex-flatbed (no bed now!) sold September 2023
In the Stovebolt Gallery
1958 Chevy 6400 flatbed W/dump
In the Stovebolt Gallery
1959 Chevy Suburban Owned for almost 20 years, Daily Driver -- sold May 2016
In the Stovebolt Gallery

Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof
Joined: Jan 2019
Posts: 76
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: Jan 2019
Posts: 76
Oh and i just thought of another posibility; when I added Powered brakes to my 69 C10, the standard brake rod wasn't long enough. So i modified it and made it adjustable so I could put the correct amount of pre-pressure with the brake pedal in up position, because my pedal would hit iron at first before I got pressure.

Joined: Dec 2011
Posts: 54
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: Dec 2011
Posts: 54
I am following this thread because I have a similar situation.
69 Cuda, where does one find the parts to rebuild the brakes in these big bolts?
Mike
Not tying to hijack thread just curious about this.

Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 6,100
3
3B Offline
'Bolter
'Bolter
3 Offline
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 6,100
Hy Lightningtruck, if you tell us exactly what you are dealing with and which components of the braking system you are looking for we will do our best to help you. Please start your own thread on the subject.

Joined: Dec 2011
Posts: 54
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: Dec 2011
Posts: 54
10-4. Thanks!

Joined: May 2016
Posts: 56
C
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
C Offline
Joined: May 2016
Posts: 56
O.K.!! so ,the plunger n the master cylinder was stuck. Put in a new M.C. now I have good brakes


I just finished a 1946 chevy pickup street rod
now on a 1950 chevy 3100
.
also a GMC 220 with duals
and a 1948 chevy 2 ton
Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 430
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 430
Lightningtruck,

You may also check what big brakes you have. Some of the Canadian market brakes where different. I'm not a huge expert, but I believe one of the differences where how many bolts hold the drum to the hub. I make a disc brake conversion kit and one of the kits I shipped did not work on the canadian market truck due to 5 bolts holding the drum on versus the 6 bolts for US market.

Hope that helps a little bit,


Randy Domeck
Indianapolis Fabrications
[email protected]
Indianapolis, In. 46254
317-258-0039

Joined: Dec 2011
Posts: 54
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: Dec 2011
Posts: 54
R domeck, thanks!
C Pretzer,
You replaced the master and then bleed as per instructions and all is well?
That's awesome!
Your hydro vac is hooked up?
That's a big accomplishment on a big truck.
Mike

Joined: Dec 2015
Posts: 2,063
Big Bolt Forum Moderator
Big Bolt Forum Moderator
Joined: Dec 2015
Posts: 2,063
a lot of the parts for these big trucks (cylinder kits) can be found at either Rock Auto or Napa, as can the flexible brake hoses. Hard lines, make your own, or buy pre-made lengths and bend them yourself.


Mike
1955 Chevy 6400 ex-flatbed (no bed now!) sold September 2023
In the Stovebolt Gallery
1958 Chevy 6400 flatbed W/dump
In the Stovebolt Gallery
1959 Chevy Suburban Owned for almost 20 years, Daily Driver -- sold May 2016
In the Stovebolt Gallery

Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof

Moderated by  69Cuda, Super55 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0