The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
6 members (1955 1 Series, Justhorsenround, Hotrod Lincoln, Otto Skorzeny, Hugh63c10, KEVINSKI), 81 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,142
Posts1,056,481
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Jul 2003
Posts: 179
R
Member
Member
R Offline
Joined: Jul 2003
Posts: 179
Several people have expressed problems getting the M2 IFS springs to install correctly.

I have been in touch with Pat Hollister (a fellow Oletrucker) who had the same issue as I did (see http://www.wsu.edu/~rsain/apache.html) with compressing the springs.

He called TCI to see what they said. Below is a copy of the email he sent me detailing TCI's response (the message is posted with permission from the author).

"Ryan, Well yes I did talk to TCI, and yes I did have some luck with them,(I think). I explained to them that I had the motor and tranny in and stood up on the frame, and that the springs still where bowed and far from level, (a-arms). He explained to me that he was sure I had the right springs and that they get a couple calls a week about the same problem. He said they were about to put it on their web site, and on the instruction sheet that this is normal. He went on to tell me that I need to finish the truck, (get ALL the body back together, and the interior, ect.) Then I need to drive the truck, easily, at first, to help seat the springs. He said the springs will settle in and be the right height after all the weight is on them and they seat in. He said this was due to them using a heavier spring that won't bottom out after it settles in.

"I told him that it might be as much as 2 years before I get to the stage of being able to drive the truck. He said it didn't matter to them, if I still have trouble when I get everything back together, to call them and they will make it right. I guess I can't ask for anything more than that, (as long as they keep their word)

"Seems that we have a common problem, that's not a problem at all, just a pain in the ...... So, I guess just finish your truck, drive it, and if you don't like it, call them. He also told me that some guys have cut their springs to shorten them, and it worked for a while, but after the springs settled in, they were not happy with them. They could not align the front end after it settled too far, and had problems with sagging."

(snip the last paragraph)

"Later,

Pat Hollister---'58 step"

Hope this helps all of you out there - and DON'T CUT YOUR SPRINGS!

- Ryan


59 Apache Step
78 El Camino
http://www.wsu.edu/~rsain
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Ryan - information like this rarely sees the light of day, thanks for sharing. I can't help but think that if these are this big of a pain that TCI hasn't taken the time to document it and get the information as public as possible at the time of purchase. But - that may compromise $ale$ and you wouldn't want that!?!? This kind of non-disclosure is a crappy way to run a business.

Joined: Jul 2003
Posts: 179
R
Member
Member
R Offline
Joined: Jul 2003
Posts: 179
You're welcome!

Good point.

TCI have changed their instruction sheets to mention the problem that I described above.

And they have always stood behind their product when I had problems with the spindles.
- Ryan


59 Apache Step
78 El Camino
http://www.wsu.edu/~rsain
Joined: Sep 2000
Posts: 60
T
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
T Offline
Joined: Sep 2000
Posts: 60
hi guys, yes all the weight need's to be on there.
down to the water in the radiator.

in my shop after i install ms11 set up,i make a brkt, that goes where the shock goes.

place a 2x4 under ms11 cross member, that way
lower a-arms are flat with ground.

i take a pipe weld a bolt on the end of it, that goes thru the top hat, bottom part of pipe drill a hole thru it. put bolt thru a-ram & pipe.

that way the truck is sitting at the ride height
it should be at.

when the truck is done i drive it to the front end shop, he install's the coil's & align the front end.

the spring i put in are for a ms11 v6 with air.

DO NOT CUT THE COIL'S


FRAMEUP TRUCKS - 47/55.1ST
STILL PLAYING WITH TRUCKS

Moderated by  Fibonachu, KCMongo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0