The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (Wayne67vert, Phak1, Peggy M, WICruiser), 127 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,111
Posts1,056,243
Members48,437
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 197
3
'Bolter
'Bolter
3 Offline
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 197
I was finally able to get the propeller shaft out of my 1940 GMC 1/2 ton. Now I need to find a replacement shaft. A couple of inches were broken off of the spline end at some time in the past. It looks like the pinion end unbolts or unscrews from the shaft. Is that correct?

Anyway, if anyone on the west coast, especially Northern California, has one they are willing to part with please let me know. This is (hopefully) the last piece of the puzzle for my truck. I really need to get this thing back on the road!

Thanks everyone! Hope you had a great weekend!!


Neil
1940 GMC 1/2 Ton
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Hello, Neil,

Do you have a 1940 GMC Maintenance Manual?
Here is the pertinent section in the 1941 Chevrolet Truck Shop Manual.
My guess is that GMC & Chevrolet trucks used the same parts in this assembly?

Regarding your request for parts: this type of request belongs in the Swap Meet.

Good luck with this repair. Keep asking questions - members will post advice and suggestions.

[I see you have already posted a Parts Wanted Ad here - good]

Last edited by tclederman; 07/15/2019 10:53 AM. Reason: added comment on Parts Wanted ad
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
If you can't find one here, try the VCCA site and also OldGMCs.com.


1951 GMC 1 Ton Flatbed -- It is finally on the road and what a great time I have driving it!
1951 1 Ton Completed


My Chevy Master 4 Door is on the Road!
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 197
3
'Bolter
'Bolter
3 Offline
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 197
Thanks for the info. Yes, I do have a 1940 GMC as well as a Chevy maintenance manual. I’ll review what you sent as well as take a look in the manuals. I appreciate your input.


Neil
1940 GMC 1/2 Ton
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 197
3
'Bolter
'Bolter
3 Offline
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 197
Hey truckernix, thanks for that info. I’ve been on the OldGMC website but haven’t heard of the VCCA. I’ll check them out. I’m sure something will turn up.


Neil
1940 GMC 1/2 Ton

Moderated by  Dusty53, SWEET 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0