The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
1 members (Woodcmiami), 86 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,100
Posts1,056,513
Members48,448
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1316340 07/03/2019 1:38 AM
Joined: Nov 2014
Posts: 164
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Nov 2014
Posts: 164
I've cleaned up some rust on the floor of my '53 3100 and used the paint guide in this forum to find the interior paint that I need. It's Dupont sheen grey metallic or PPG sheen grey poly. Now that I know the name and the paint codes where can I find a rattle can of this stuff for touch-up? Thanks


~Denny
1953 Chevy 3100
w/1960 261 cid, 848 head | Weber 32/36 progressive 2 barrel carb. | Three on the tree & 3:55 torque tube | 12 V w/Gener-Nator & 6 V starter
In the Gallery Forum
1998 Chevy Suburban 350 ci awd/4wd


Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,104
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,104
If there's an automotive paint store where you are, they can custom mix paint and put it in a rattle can for you. I just picked up a rattle can of paint for my heater. They pulled out a book of PPG paint chips and we matched it up as closely as possible. Not cheap though. Figure on $25-30 for a rattle can, and for touch up, it'll probably show.


Kevin
1951 Chevy 3100 work truck
Follow this saga in Project Journal
Photos
1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car)
Busting rust since the mid-60's
If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.
Joined: Nov 2014
Posts: 164
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Nov 2014
Posts: 164
Thanks, it took some searching but I found an auto paint shop that fit the bill. You were right about the cost!


~Denny
1953 Chevy 3100
w/1960 261 cid, 848 head | Weber 32/36 progressive 2 barrel carb. | Three on the tree & 3:55 torque tube | 12 V w/Gener-Nator & 6 V starter
In the Gallery Forum
1998 Chevy Suburban 350 ci awd/4wd


Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,104
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,104
Originally Posted by DJMTruck
Thanks, it took some searching but I found an auto paint shop that fit the bill. You were right about the cost!
Glad you got it dealt with.
I just did a sprayout of the can I got and it's not a close enough match (not enough blue) to suit me. $27 down the drain. frown
I do have a nice rattle can of metallic green though, in case something needs to get shiney. wink


Kevin
1951 Chevy 3100 work truck
Follow this saga in Project Journal
Photos
1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car)
Busting rust since the mid-60's
If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.
Joined: Apr 2017
Posts: 480
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Apr 2017
Posts: 480
I used Rustoleum Dark Bronze Metallic #7272 for the interior of my 53 one ton, and I was pretty happy with it. I ended up using about 10 cans, and it didn't cost that much. I found also that a Subaru color, Misty Dawn Metallic #35-40840, was pretty close.

Tim


I am currently digging back in to a 1953 3800 (one ton) with a nine foot bed. I've owned it since 1979, and drove it until 1982 (or so). My wife got me involved in restoring it back in 2002, got the body removed and the frame redone, then things came up. Now I am retired and starting again. If anyone is interested I have photos on Imagur ( https://timwhiteblues.imgur.com/ ). I live way back in the woods in the Ozarks on 40 acres at the end of a 2 1/2 mile private road.

Tim
Joined: Oct 2015
Posts: 338
F
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
F Offline
Joined: Oct 2015
Posts: 338
Originally Posted by DJMTruck
I've cleaned up some rust on the floor of my '53 3100 and used the paint guide in this forum to find the interior paint that I need. It's Dupont sheen grey metallic or PPG sheen grey poly. Now that I know the name and the paint codes where can I find a rattle can of this stuff for touch-up? Thanks

There's no paint from any manufacturer that is going to match the 66 year old paint that currently exists in your interior because it's been aging for 66 years. The paint you buy today may not even have matched 100% the paint when it was applied 66 years ago.

In other words, don't expect the 30$ custom aerosol to just blend into existing color without being able to see it after it dries. If you are painting the entire dash, great. But if you are expecting to touch up areas and have them look "untouched", you are going to be disappointed.


~~ Darcy

1959 GMC 9310 Canadian- built Shortbox Fleetside Deluxe
FootStomper
In the Stovebolt Gallery
In the Project Journals Forum
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,104
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,104
Originally Posted by FootStomper
There's no paint from any manufacturer that is going to match the 66 year old paint that currently exists in your interior because it's been aging for 66 years. The paint you buy today may not even have matched 100% the paint when it was applied 66 years ago.

In other words, don't expect the 30$ custom aerosol to just blend into existing color without being able to see it after it dries. If you are painting the entire dash, great. But if you are expecting to touch up areas and have them look "untouched", you are going to be disappointed.
Exactly, what I said: "and for touch up, it'll probably show."


Kevin
1951 Chevy 3100 work truck
Follow this saga in Project Journal
Photos
1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car)
Busting rust since the mid-60's
If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 4,256
"Hey! I sound like Darth Vader!!
"Hey! I sound like Darth Vader!!
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 4,256
Not to mention, difference of sheen.


Moderated by  klhansen 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0