The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (MickeyP, Cletus1950, 78buckshot, Nick in Manitou), 102 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,130
Posts1,056,720
Members48,454
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1315714 06/26/2019 2:05 AM
Joined: Jun 2019
Posts: 43
G
'Bolter
'Bolter
G Offline
Joined: Jun 2019
Posts: 43
About 5 years ago I bought a sweet running 235 that I pulled from a 55 first series pickup. Owner wanted V/8 power. I drained the radiator and discarded hoses when I pulled it but did not drain the block hoping that It had antifreeze in it. I pulled the spark plugs and squirted in a lot of mystery oil for storage. About 4 years later I tried to turn over the motor with the fan blade and found it to be stuck. I remove the starter an broke it loose with a crow bar. It wasn't stuck too tight, but after about one revolution, It belched out of cylinder #1 about a cup of water, followed by the mystery oil that was underneath. Question is: Should I even consider rebuilding this engine or even pulling the head to check out the damage. My neighbor suggested than the water left in the block might have breached a head gasket and I might get by with only a head gasket replacement. Hate to rebuild an engine that ran so good. Any opinions or experience with ice damage?

Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,839
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Online: Content
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,839
Do an air pressure test. Loosen the adjustment on both valves on cyl. #1, turn the crankshaft so the piston is at the bottom of the stroke, and put air pressure into the cylinder. If there's a major crack or a blown cylinder wall, you'll get a big volume of air escaping from the radiator hose fittings and no pressure buildup. If it pressurizes, the engine might be rebuildable. Either way, I'd consider it to be a "rebuildable core" at best. Sometimes the expensive lessons are the most lasting ones.
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Nov 1995
Posts: 5,729
J
24601
24601
J Offline
Joined: Nov 1995
Posts: 5,729
Heed what Jerry says -- A lifetime of experience there.

In more than 20 years of running this forum, we've never had *anyone* report back after ignoring advice like that... It's either "Yeah, I took your advice and rebuilt the engine. Man, you should have seen the bearings/crank journals/cylinder walls/cam lobs/etc -- they were trashed! Thanks for the advice" or we get crickets.

My guess is that no one wants to admit "Yeah you told me to rebuild it but I went ahead and ran it anyway ... and now the engine is a bunch of little pieces of scrap metal. Just like you warned me."


Happy rebuilding! chug


~ John

A kid raised on Hotwheels, Matchbox and Tonka cannot be reasonably expected to own only one vehicle as an adult.

1949 Chevrolet 3804
In the Legacy Gallery | In the Gallery Forum
1973 IH 1310 Dump
1963 Kaiser M38A1
2001 International/AmTran RE3000 "Skoolie"
2014 Ford E-350 4x4 (Quigley)
Joined: Jun 2019
Posts: 43
G
'Bolter
'Bolter
G Offline
Joined: Jun 2019
Posts: 43
Well, thanks for the advice but I have already pulled the head and noticed the valves in #1 cylinder to be wet with water, covered with a brownish dirt colored corrosion, and probably stuck. All other cylinders had black carbon residue. I scraped about 1/4 inch of gray dirt colored crud off the top of the piston. At this point, I suspect a crack in the head or maybe a mouse had crawled in through the exhaust .

Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,922
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,922
Now that it turns over use, this moment to do a compression test to detect other problems that suggest a rebuild.

Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,839
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Online: Content
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,839
The head's off- - - - -I'll bet he gets zero compression!
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0