Update: The vendor stated the socket contact insert sold from there catalog is for the OEM style housing...ONLY. Apparently, those housings were made to allow for the offset lugs to key correctly for the bulb filaments. Coincidental the housings they sell were not made to OEM specs and are intended to be used with other aftermarket wire harnesses. As a buyer you are not aware of that. So, they suggested filing off one of the lugs and insert. Remove and reinsert if needed to achieve correct wire/filament alignment.
That is a bogus answer from them. I get that their insert is for OEM so that a person can replace the insert with no problems. But who would provide a housing that would not accept an existing OEM harness, or their own harness? If you bought both from them and they don't fit together, get your money back and go somewhere else. This is approaching fraud. Filing a part will make it unable to be returned. May cause intermittent electrical contact and lighting troubles. The catalog says nothing about that OEM story for the housing or for the harness. That's all none of my business, hope you can make it work. Good luck.
Right is right, even if everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it. - William Penn
No, No...take a look at pics a few pages back. Btw, I sent KCMongo a PM seeking some original parts at the advice of another Bolter although no response from him to date.
So, again I'm starting from scratch. Really don't want to make a mistake such as with the Truck Shop again.
Classic Parts of America has the 58-59 tail light housing. I deal with them a lot. They have full harnesses and they have just the tail light/rear harness and other harnesses/pigtails. I would email them and ask them to provide part numbers of harnesses and pigtail harnesses that fit the housing they sell. Then order what you need. They are very good about a full refund especially after they answer your email and state what fits. Also, I PM'ed you.
Right is right, even if everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it. - William Penn
Update Good news...I was able to massage the pie cuts w/o stressing or cracking the factory steel, did a little sanding, shot a little zinc rich galvanized paint and finished up with flat black. I must give a shout out to our fellow Bolter Bartamos for providing me the name of a reputable vendor of which I was not aware. Classic Chevy/GMC Truck Parts. They provided quality matched parts needed to complete this upgrade. Everything checks out, brake lights, turn signals and running lights. Again thanks to those fellow bolters that threw their 2 cents at me to get me tracking in the right direction.
bartamos, the PO did that in order to fit the trailer lights they used in place of just buying the correct ones. If you look at the before photos you will see the rounded back to the housing.
Martin '62 Chevy C-10 Stepside Shortbed (Restomod in progress) '47 Chevy 3100 5 Window (long term project) ‘65 Chevy Biscayne (Emily) ‘39 Dodge Business Coupe (Clarence) “I fought the law and the law won" now I are a retired one! Support those brave men/women who stand the "Thin Blue Line"! Hug a cop! USAF 1965-1969 Weather Observation Tech (I got paid to look at the clouds)