The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (Opelika Tom, klhansen, dt235sd), 100 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,078
Posts1,056,283
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1313838 06/10/2019 12:26 PM
Joined: Nov 2016
Posts: 25
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Nov 2016
Posts: 25
I've a '52 6400 flatbed that I'm getting back on the road. I'm limited to the farm right now until I get my brakes fixed.

I have a new master cylinder, fully rebuilt hydro-vac brake booster, and new lines. I cleaned up and honed the cylinders and installed new seals and springs. The cylinders are leaking from the inside.

Is it within tolerance to minimally bore out the cylinder to rid it of the surface pits? Initially I thought the surface pits were too shallow and sparse to amount to anything.
I've researched the web extensively to find affordable replacements which a starting price of $70 is not (ChevysOfThe40s.com).

I am using this thread as a cross reference for my research: https://www.stovebolt.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=587514

Thanks for your feedback.

Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 6,100
3
3B Offline
'Bolter
'Bolter
3 Offline
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 6,100
Hy Snellen, pits are common in the center of the wheel cylinder and cause no problems as the cups (seals) do not travel over that area, pits toward the outside of the cylinder bore will cause the cups to wear and leak prematurely. You can hone the cylinders out, but not so much that the cups will go into the bore without folding in the lip of the cup, if you hone so far that your pistons are a sloppy fit in the bore you should have a machine shop make you up some new ones which are a tighter fit. Brakes are the most important system on any vehicle, not just for you but for those traveling the roads with you, so don't skimp on their repair. RockAuto lists Raybestos wheel cylinders for the rear of your truck under p/n WC14499 $63.79 and p/n WC14500 $74.79. Hope that helps.

Joined: Nov 2016
Posts: 25
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Nov 2016
Posts: 25
Thanks for the post 3B.
The seal around the aluminum cups are certainly nice and snug to where I must spin my finger around perimeter to press the seal into the bore. The cups themselves have minimal clearance. I haven't mic'd them but they are not loose to cause initial concern.

Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,821
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,821
I have honed pits out of hard-to-find wheel cylinders by going several thousandths oversize by mounting the wheel cylinder in a drill press vise and using a 3-stone hone with plenty of brake fluid as a lubricant. Then I machined new pistons to be a snug slip fit in the oversize bores. The rubber cups will accommodate a pretty generous oversize and still seal, as long as the pistons don't wobble in the bore. A big GMC I was reworking the front brakes on had two cylinders per drum, at a cost from NAPA of $96.00 each. Rubber wheel cylinder cups were about $3.00 each. That was several years ago, and the truck is still running and stopping with no leaks.
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 5,096
E
Crusing in the Passing Lane
Crusing in the Passing Lane
E Offline
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 5,096
Jerry, thanks, working great.

Ed


'37 GMC T-18 w/ DD 4-53T, RTO-610, 6231 aux., '95 GMC running gear, full disc brakes, power steering, 22.5 wheels and tires.
'47 GMC 1 ton w/ 302, NP-540, 4wd, full width Blazer front axle.
'54 GMC 630 w/ 503 gasser, 5 speed, ex fire truck, shortened WB 4', install 8' bed.
'55 GMC 370 w/270, 420 4 speed, grain, dump bed truck from ND. Works OK.
Joined: Nov 2016
Posts: 25
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Nov 2016
Posts: 25
This looks to be the correct cylinder for the front:

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/dhb-w4358/applications

Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,821
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,821
Nope- - - - -that cylinder is for a pickup with Huck brakes. This one's a big rig with a much larger brake system. A 6400 series is definitely not a pickup.
Jerry



"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Nov 2016
Posts: 25
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Nov 2016
Posts: 25
That it isn't Jerry! haha. Thanks for the clarification. Was hoping I found a better priced piece.

Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,821
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,821
Before you bite the bullet and buy those expensive cylinders, try honing yours. Is the cylinder you're looking for a double-ended one with two pistons? Those are fairly simple to hone, since the bore is the same size all the way through. The ones I was working on were blind holes with only one piston for each cylinder- - - -two cylinders per drum. Last resort- - - -send me the cylinders and I'll hone them out and make you some new, oversized pistons.
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Nov 2016
Posts: 25
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Nov 2016
Posts: 25
My cylinders are the two piston style. Four in the rear (two on each side - front & back) and one each side for the front (top side). I honed them sometime last year which I was pleased with but had not calculated the magnitude of what minimal pitting would result in. When the brakes are bleed, we got firm pressure with no bleed through. However, two weeks later I return home to find out my pedal goes to the floor with no resistance frown Conclusion: a good lesson learned that the most minimal pitting will leak with brand new rubber seals.

Joined: May 2017
Posts: 330
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: May 2017
Posts: 330
I bought my '69 T50 two years ago with rusted hydraulics. I honed all 8 cylinders, 2 for each brake, enough to remove the surface rust but not enough to get absolutely all the pitting. When reassembling them I coated the rubbers and the cylinders with silicone grease, pistons still fit fine. One cylinder of the 8 leaks enough over the winter to drain the master. If I check it once a month no bleeding is needed. The point being that I really only needed to replace one of 8 instead of all 8, at $100 each.


Mac :{)

1962 K10 short step side, much modified for rally
1969 T50 fire truck, almost nos, needs a few things
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 5,096
E
Crusing in the Passing Lane
Crusing in the Passing Lane
E Offline
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 5,096
Silicone is not brake fluid compatible. Use brake fluid.

Ed


'37 GMC T-18 w/ DD 4-53T, RTO-610, 6231 aux., '95 GMC running gear, full disc brakes, power steering, 22.5 wheels and tires.
'47 GMC 1 ton w/ 302, NP-540, 4wd, full width Blazer front axle.
'54 GMC 630 w/ 503 gasser, 5 speed, ex fire truck, shortened WB 4', install 8' bed.
'55 GMC 370 w/270, 420 4 speed, grain, dump bed truck from ND. Works OK.
Joined: Nov 2016
Posts: 25
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Nov 2016
Posts: 25
Jerry,

I've tried to send you a direct message. Maybe it's the internet connection here but says "user not found".
E-mail please at James dot snellen at gmail dot com. Thank you!

Joined: Feb 2016
Posts: 1,990
7
'Bolter
'Bolter
7 Offline
Joined: Feb 2016
Posts: 1,990
Snellen, are you sure it's a wheel cylinder that's leaking, mine didn't clean up completely but the pedal has not dropped at all. I bypassed the hydrovac because it was leaking internally and no dripping outside the shell. So for now I have manual brakes and they are very dependable. When I rebuilt all the cylinders I soaked them in muriatic acid and washed them with detergent and HOT water, then honed them, they cleaned up good but not perfect.


1957 Chevrolet 5700 LCF 283 SM420 2 speed rear, 1955 IH 300U T/A, 1978 Corvette 350 auto, 1978 Yamaha DT175, 1999 Harley Davidson Softail Fat Boy

Moderated by  69Cuda, Super55 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0