Hi. I followed the tech tip about the door locks and I have the "servicing Chevrolet Truck Cabs" booklet but I'm still having an issue with the door.
I took the door latch out and sprayed it all down with carb cleaner. Then let it dry and sprayed in all down with wd40. I tested the latch with the lock and the handle (not installed) and everything seemed to work fine. I reinstalled the latch and put everything back together. I have one issue that I think is an outside door handle problem. Sometimes the outside door handle won't move the latch mechanism and will continue to turn (it can go 360 degrees). Do I have something stripped inside the door handle?
The other question: Is the inside remote and handle supposed to spring back to closed position? I have to turn the inside handle down so the door will close properly, otherwise the latch remains open. The remote is not hanging up on anything and the door spring on the latch is intact. Is my latch spent or is that how the inside door latch is supposed to work (the remote is brand new).
Sometimes, the outside handle will spin on the shaft, but you can pin it if you don't want to buy a new on. An, yes, the inner handle should spring back.
I drilled the shaft and handle out and installed a cut down cotter pin, then filed it down. It worked great!
Now for the inner handle spring back. Should I try another round of cleaning and lube? I looked at the spring when I had it disassembled before and it looked ok. Does the tension on those springs wear out? I have a new spring I can install.
One other odd thing. If I lock the door from the outside with the key, I can unlock the door with the key. If I lock the door from the inside with the remote, I can't open the lock from the outside with the key. What could that be?