The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (Frank50, Nick in Manitou, Donf, 1 invisible), 83 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,115
Posts1,056,636
Members48,450
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1311299 05/20/2019 8:49 PM
Joined: Oct 2000
Posts: 244
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Oct 2000
Posts: 244
I am putting a new Spectra gas tank (inside cab) in my 1953 GMC. My question is the old one I removed did not have a shut off valve on the nipple from the tank under the car, should I install one when I put the new tank in ? Any specific type ?

Joined: Jan 2017
Posts: 308
5
'Bolter
'Bolter
5 Offline
Joined: Jan 2017
Posts: 308
Get the one from Jim Carter truck parts--I just did..

Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,294
5
Renaissance Man
Renaissance Man
5 Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,294
When I replace a tank, I like to plug the hole in the bottom of the tank and upgrade to the type of sending unit which has the fuel pickup attached to it, heading down into the tank from the top. It has a nice filter sock on the end of it and you will never have another issue of crud settling in the hole in the bottom of the tank, causing a miserable intermittent blockage of fuel.
The one you need is for a '54-'59.
You will need to route a fuel line through the floor, up along the front of the tank, then to the fitting on the sending unit. Copper-nickle line makes this chore a breeze. No bending tool required.
Carl


1952 5-window - return to "as built" condition | 1950 3100 with a 235 and a T-5 transmission

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0